PDA

View Full Version : coral suggestion

labnjab
05-09-2009, 12:46 AM
We made a frag rack and freed up some of our sand bed. We're looking for a coral to put in the spot and need suggestions. The area is blasted by the powerhead so it needs to like strong current. We have been taking interest in the sun coral (I know they need daily feeding and such). I've read they need strong flow but I also know they are lps and strong flow can harm lps, is this true for the sun coral?

What are your thoughts on the sun coral, and if not the sun coral, what would you suggest for the spot?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-09-2009, 12:57 AM
No, the strong flow is not bad for the Sun Coral, however you don't want to keep them out in the light, they prefer to be in the shade and they will need frequent feeding to do well.

labnjab
05-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Thank you. We can make some shade for it, and we've been looking for a higher maintenance coral. If we can find one cheap we'll go for it.

Would there be any other coral that would work in that spot if we can't find a sun coral?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-09-2009, 01:27 AM
If it wasn't for the fact that they have such long sweepers, a galaxia would go perfect there. How much room to do you have to work with?

labnjab
05-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Its a 6x6 square and probably 6-7 inches below the nearest coral

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Not really enough room then. It would have to be a really small Galaxia. LOL My Galaxia is 6x6 without it's polyps out. They are a beautiful coral though. How about some Green Star Polyps?

labnjab
05-09-2009, 01:57 AM
We've have some of those. We would have loved the green galaxia, but don't want to risk killing anything. I've seen the sun coral sold cheaply on our local reef club, so maybe someone has some for sale

kaybee
05-09-2009, 05:36 AM
For the sun coral, lighting will not be much of a factor (i.e., a brightly lit position won't negatively affect this non-photosynthetic coral), so shade placement in an aquarium isn't a 'requirement' per se.

Moderate flow would probably work better than placement in an area 'blasted with a powerhead'.

With tubastraea, flow is key in that it will bring food items (cyclopeeze, etc) to its tentacles...but too much flow and the sun coral will lose grasp of it and in that sense high flow will work against the coral. However, this is a non-issue if circulation is turned off during and for a brief period after feeding time.

Duncans (relatives of the sun coral) may also do well in that position of your tank.

labnjab
05-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I say the areas blasted, its actually more like moderate. I have our leather there now and its fully open and its polyps aren't being blasted. Duncans and sun coral look nice too and I'd rather have an lps anyways. I'll see what we can get. Thank you for the suggestions

labnjab
05-10-2009, 03:05 AM
We may be getting some Duncans. Someone got the purple ones locally for $10 a head so we may get 2 or 3 heads

coachfraley
05-10-2009, 03:15 AM
That is a good price! Post some pics after you pic them up!!!!

labnjab
05-11-2009, 11:16 AM
That is a good price! Post some pics after you pic them up!!!!
I will be sure to post some pics. Hopefully I'll get them this week. I'm also getting the new bulb I ordered to try out, a UV lighting brand indigo sun, as well as a 20 polyp frag of fire and ice zoas for $25