PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Bubble's tank

labnjab
05-08-2009, 05:12 PM
We upgraded our newest bettas tank from a 5 gallon hex to a 10 gallon. He seems much happier. I plan on adding more plants soon. I've been debating on adding a small school of cories and see how he reacts to them. If he doesn't like them they can go into our community tank

Before
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/jabsgirlforever/random%20coral%20shots/100_0362.jpg

After
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/jabsgirlforever/random%20coral%20shots/100_0670.jpg

Let me know what you think. Thank you

rich311k
05-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Very nice. I am sure he will be very happy in there.

coachfraley
05-08-2009, 05:17 PM
That looks like it would be a nice tank for some panda cories. Their colors would look great against that substrate, and they would love sifting through it.

troy
05-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Great tank. If you add corys go with one of the dwarf species.

Sharon
05-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Nice upgrade! Beautiful substrate!thumbs2: Bubbles is a lucky little dude!

thrakuarium
05-09-2009, 03:45 AM
Oh ya I can see a very happy betta in there. Corys would be a nice fit too. In a 10 gal it doesnt need to be the dwarf. Pandas or albino would show up nicely against the dark substrate. 4-6 would probably work with one betta.

korith
05-09-2009, 05:13 AM
More swimming room to roam, looks nice. What kind of betta is it? Maybe try some ghost shrimp, the betta I have shares a tank with them. So far no casualties, though it's hard to get an accurate count of the shrimp.

Sarkazmo
05-11-2009, 02:54 AM
More swimming room to roam, looks nice. What kind of betta is it? Maybe try some ghost shrimp, the betta I have shares a tank with them. So far no casualties, though it's hard to get an accurate count of the shrimp.

I used to think that as well, Korith, until this week. I put in three new Ghost Shrimp to replace the two that died and after one of the smaller two GS tried to eat Sancho's (my betta) tail, Sancho decided to go homicidal and killed the two smaller GS the next day. The large GS is MIA as well sooo.... yeah, no more GS with the betta. Don't think that it was because they had a lack of space to hide either. It's a small tank but there's a thousand little nooks and crannies for 'em to hide in, as well as Java Moss in abundance. Sancho is well fed as well so it wasn't for lack of food. He actively hunted the two smaller ones down and obliterated them. So consider carefully the little shrimppies with bettas.

Dwarf African Frogs can go either way... Oto cats are good... Are there any dwarf plecos? I agree on the corys... there's gotta be more that'd be good for this tank.

Sark

Gayle
05-11-2009, 02:56 AM
Hey that looks great! I bet Bubbles loves it! Good job!

korith
05-11-2009, 03:12 AM
I used to think that as well, Korith, until this week. I put in three new Ghost Shrimp to replace the two that died and after one of the smaller two GS tried to eat Sancho's (my betta) tail, Sancho decided to go homicidal and killed the two smaller GS the next day. The large GS is MIA as well sooo.... yeah, no more GS with the betta. Don't think that it was because they had a lack of space to hide either. It's a small tank but there's a thousand little nooks and crannies for 'em to hide in, as well as Java Moss in abundance. Sancho is well fed as well so it wasn't for lack of food. He actively hunted the two smaller ones down and obliterated them. So consider carefully the little shrimppies with bettas.

Dwarf African Frogs can go either way... Oto cats are good... Are there any dwarf plecos? I agree on the corys... there's gotta be more that'd be good for this tank.

Sark

I sat in front of the betta tank earlier today, trying to count the ghost shrimp it looks like some are missing but not really sure. Well inverts are one of the bettas natural food sources out in the wild, so it is a risk putting them in there. Usually buy them a dollar a dozen.

I think it's best to avoid fish tankmates that are too colourful. Not really sure though.

labnjab
05-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Thank you everyone. I've been on the lookout for some panda cories and haven't been able to find any. I may pick up some albino's though. If he doesn't like them I can always put them in my community tank.

He's a veil tail. He does seem happier and more active. I'd like to add a lot more plants. He likes to swim through them. If I can't find any cories I'll give ghost shrimp a shot. Their cheap enough if he makes them a snack its no big loss

korith
05-11-2009, 04:27 PM
He's a veil tail. He does seem happier and more active. I'd like to add a lot more plants. He likes to swim through them. If I can't find any cories I'll give ghost shrimp a shot. Their cheap enough if he makes them a snack its no big loss

Does your betta rest in/on the plants too? Mines gotten a lot more active since I put him in this tank, seems to have explored every inch of it too. Even goes into the high current areas. I figure the ghost shrimps make good entertainment for him too, if they get eaten not really an issue costwise.

labnjab
05-11-2009, 04:53 PM
I haven't seen him rest on them yet, he sleeps in the pipe though. He is a heck of a lot more active then our other betta, freddie, but he's getting old too. He must be well over 2 years old. We've had him for a year and a half.

Now cories are labyrinth fish like the betta, correct? So when I add them I wouldn't need to add a bubble stone would I? Tonight I'm going to look for some albino cories

edit: Now that you mention it, I just looked in and he was resting in the plants

Northernguy
05-11-2009, 05:02 PM
The tank looks great!
Why not try some neons in with him.They get along great over here.The neons take the bottom half and the beta stays in the top half.Never had a problem yet! lol

korith
05-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I haven't seen him rest on them yet, he sleeps in the pipe though. He is a heck of a lot more active then our other betta, freddie, but he's getting old too. He must be well over 2 years old. We've had him for a year and a half.

Now cories are labyrinth fish like the betta, correct? So when I add them I wouldn't need to add a bubble stone would I? Tonight I'm going to look for some albino cories

edit: Now that you mention it, I just looked in and he was resting in the plants

Mine likes to tuck himself into the sword plants or even under them.

Don't really need a bubble stone, if you're using a hob filter that should provide more than enough agitation and provide the o2.

Wild Turkey
05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Tank looks wonderful!thumbs2: Im sure he is ecstatic

Corys will do fine in the ten
6 of these will have plenty of room
panda
hasbrosus
hastatus
pygmaeus
cochui
gracilis

Some people consider all of the above "dwarf corys" besides pandas, which are just small.

The 2" species of cory will fit in a ten gal, but they will be much more active in a 20.