PDA

View Full Version : crayfish

dupee2@earthlink.net
03-02-2007, 02:16 AM
I found a pregnant cray fish and she was in the process of delivering her young. I already have a fresh water tank, 10 gallons. I also have a 1 gallon empty tank which I put her in. After she finished delivering I let her go in the creek and kept all 100 babies in the 1 gallon tank. I set it up with fake plants and a rock from the creek. My question is how to properly raise them until they are to large for the tank and I have to release them. I am tring to teach my child about nature. Any suggestions?

Canadiancray
03-03-2007, 02:51 PM
OK first. Please don't release them back into the stream where you found them. This could be disastrous for the environment as they can pickup all kinds of diseases in an aquarium & take that back with them. You can sell them to a local fish store for pets or food for large fish.

Baby crayfish need a lot of decaying plant matter when they are VERY small. They will also eat veggies like peas, zucchini & potato. You will also need to give them a good source of protein like shrimp pellets etc.

jeffs99dime
03-03-2007, 03:28 PM
welcome to a.c. please post threads in proper sections though. thanks--jeff

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Ditto with canadiancray. Flushing down dead fish in toilets or releasing fish is a disaster for the food chain and upsets the environment.
The crayfish are scavengers and eat flakes, bloodworm, sometimes live crickets, maybe feeder guppies, etc.