PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing bubble nest!

buckeye_house
05-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Hello,
I've been trying to breed my betta couple, but have had no success! He builds a beautiful bubble nest, they do their "thing" and she releases eggs. My male picks up the eggs and puts them in the nest, I remove the female, and we wait! Unfortunately, w/ in the first 24-48 hours his bubble nest disappears and no fry are any where to be seen. What am I doing wrong?!?
:help:

Sharon
05-07-2009, 11:07 PM
If you're running a filter, the current may be too strong, and is destroying the nest. If that's the case, reduce the current. You could try putting something in there to help stabilize the nest...a plant, styrofoam cup cut in half, or anything that will do the job.:ssmile:

Marty
05-07-2009, 11:13 PM
A sponge filter is best.. also, are you covering the top of the tank, i.e. a plastic lid, etc.. the nest will disappear if there is a breeze or the eggs get too cold.

buckeye_house
05-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I never even thought of covering the tank! I'll try that this time - THANKS!

buckeye_house
05-08-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm not running a filter...I will try the styro cup and see what happens. Thanks so much for your info!

dmagerl
05-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I took 2 plastic soda straws and shoved one into the other and then bent the whole thing into a triangle and floated it on the water.. My gourami built a quite spectacular bubble nest in that contraption.