PDA

View Full Version : Betta water changes?

aquasteph
05-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi guys. I recently got a betta, and I'm just wondering do I have to do water changes? If so, how often & what %?

Thanksss

rich311k
05-07-2009, 07:54 PM
He is in the 5 gallon I take it. Does it have a fliter? Do water changes like any other tank. I change the water in mine weekly.

Marty
05-07-2009, 07:55 PM
If its in your 5 gallon, with a filter and heater, etc, it just needs a routine weekly 25% change.

When our betta was in a 1 gallon, we need a 100% every 2 weeks and he was fine :P - we then moved him to a 10 gallon and did the normal routine change and he was fine. Just my experience though.

young_cichlid
05-07-2009, 08:41 PM
not that i think this will help but when i had bettas i cleaned their tank like once a month and they were fine untill we moved and the tank broke in the gutter.

Mvjnz
05-08-2009, 02:03 AM
If the tank doesn't have a filter, you'll need to put in lots of fast growing plants to use up ammonia in the water, such as elodea, and you'll still need to change water at least 2-3 times a week.

If the tank does have a filter, and it's cycled, you only need to change some water once a week.

In my unfiltered betta tank I change about 30% every 3-4 days, while in the filtered ones I change 30-40% once a week or every two weeks. I've tested the water in the unfiltered one for ammonia and nitrite to make sure there's no build up of these between water changes.

gm72
05-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Most of us here perform weekly 40-50% water changes. More or less depending on your water parameters.

aquasteph
05-08-2009, 08:14 PM
wow. ok.

my tank does NOT have a filter, it's a tiny little tank somewhere from 2.5-5 gal. I will measure it today to find out for sure.

So.... since I don't have a filter I should be doing water changes every 3-4 days? Crazy. I've had him for a month and never done a change! I feel bad... Well good to know thanks for your advice you guys. I shall change & condition his water :)

gm72
05-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I'd say you've been lucky that he hasn't died but certainly the water conditions aren't doing anything for his longevity. I think you'll see more activity from him if you do more frequent water changes and add a small filter.

Wild Turkey
05-08-2009, 10:27 PM
wow. ok.

my tank does NOT have a filter, it's a tiny little tank somewhere from 2.5-5 gal. I will measure it today to find out for sure.

So.... since I don't have a filter I should be doing water changes every 3-4 days? Crazy. I've had him for a month and never done a change! I feel bad... Well good to know thanks for your advice you guys. I shall change & condition his water :)

Do you have test kits? If so test the water

I would say more like 50% everyday until you get a filter and test kits, especially since the params are most likely pretty bad already. Bettas need a filter, all fish inverts even turtles and frogs, they all need good water parameters, and in 99.9% of cases that means a filter.