PDA

View Full Version : Filtration system run-down?

Jeffreybomb
03-01-2007, 11:16 PM
We've got a hexagon-shaped, 30-gallon tank. To my dismay, I had to turn the tank in order to fit the filter properly. Otherwise, the tank would be sticking almost half a foot off the wall (kind of annoying for the spot we've got it in).

So, I'm looking for an alternative to our hanging filter. Two types have my interest: in-tank filters and canister filters.

Having a tank that's pillar-shaped, what do I need to consider? Is there a better type of filter I haven't hit on?

Thanks in advance!

Chrona
03-01-2007, 11:20 PM
We've got a hexagon-shaped, 30-gallon tank. To my dismay, I had to turn the tank in order to fit the filter properly. Otherwise, the tank would be sticking almost half a foot off the wall (kind of annoying for the spot we've got it in).

So, I'm looking for an alternative to our hanging filter. Two types have my interest: in-tank filters and canister filters.

Having a tank that's pillar-shaped, what do I need to consider? Is there a better type of filter I haven't hit on?

Thanks in advance!

A canister filter would be ideal, since in tank filters rated for that size would be an eyesore. Undergravel filters would not work either, because if your tank is pillar shaped, there is not enough area for filtration at the bottom.

I haven't used a canister filter myself, but I've heard great things about Eheim, Rena Filstar, and Fluval's.

Either way though, you will still have a pipe in your tank.

Jeffreybomb
03-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Undergravel filters would not work either, because if your tank is pillar shaped, there is not enough area for filtration at the bottom.

That's exactly what I thought.

Either way though, you will still have a pipe in your tank.

True, but I'll be able to place it closer to the back!
:)

Fortunately, this entire set-up is on top of a cabinet built for it. So, I'm thinking I'll be able to put the canister into the cabinet under the tank.

Fishguy2727
03-02-2007, 02:53 AM
I would get a Fluval 305. Up to 70 gallons so it will be enough by itself. They are great. If you decide to go with that le tme know and I will tell you what I have found to be the best way to set them up (as far as media and arrangement goes).