PDA

View Full Version : Merlin's Fin Rot

knttnkitty
05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
This is my first betta that I have actual care information but I have a question about fin rot. I tried googling but couldn't find anything. I have treated Merlin for a couple of days and been doing water changes. How long do I keep doing this. I was looking at his tail and it isn't getting any worse. Do I just keep medicating until his tail starts growning back?

Thank you!!

rich311k
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
This is my first betta that I have actual care information but I have a question about fin rot. I tried googling but couldn't find anything. I have treated Merlin for a couple of days and been doing water changes. How long do I keep doing this. I was looking at his tail and it isn't getting any worse. Do I just keep medicating until his tail starts growning back?

Thank you!!

You can stop on the meds, but keep up on the water changes to keep the water nice and pristine for him. Clean water is what he needs now. You probably want to do water changes every few days for a while.

Northernguy
05-07-2009, 05:33 PM
I used beta fix and water changes to help out mine.It worked great.

knttnkitty
05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Thank you for your help. A very long time ago I had a poor betta and it had died with fin rot. Didn't know he was sick and that was back in the day of glass jars. I can't believe that I put that poor fish through that horrible life. At least I know better now.

Now I need to get my niece to put hers in a filtered, heated tank. She was keeping him in her school locker. Now he is at home in a bigger jar. I will keep working on my sister to get her to move him to a bigger tank.

knttnkitty
05-07-2009, 05:43 PM
That is what I am using. Great stuff.

Northernguy
05-07-2009, 05:47 PM
You could always buy her a used ten gallon complete on Craig's list for her birthday.thumbs2:

Sharon
05-07-2009, 06:01 PM

Thank you!!

I'd treat for longer than a couple of days. What med are you using? If I remember correctly, both Melafix and Pimafix are 7 or 10 day treatments? I'd kill for a better memory!:hmm3grin2orange:

Sarkazmo
05-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Melafix and Pimafix are both 7 day treatments and you should continue the treatment for 7 days if you've already started. It's not going to 'hurt' the fish or biofilter. Sancho's tail got shredded a bit the other day so I'm treating him right now with Melafix. His tail's growing back faster than I could've ever hoped for.

Oh! Make sure that you're feeding a really good diet right now as well. Live food or a dry like Hikari Betta Bio-Gold will give him the nutrition he needs to repair the damage.

Sark

thrakuarium
05-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Off the top of my head I believe bettafix is also a 7 day treatment. Better safe than sorry, treat the full 7 days. I wouldn't risk stopping early then having it come back.

knttnkitty
05-08-2009, 03:43 PM
My sister wouldn't like that. She had a 5 g before and she had problems. I tried telling her to do regular water changes but she never listens to me. Now she doesn't want any tanks. I told her I would be happy to come over and do all the cleaning for her but she still won't go for it.

knttnkitty
05-08-2009, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=Sarkazmo]Melafix and Pimafix are both 7 day treatments and you should continue the treatment for 7 days if you've already started. It's not going to 'hurt' the fish or biofilter. Sancho's tail got shredded a bit the other day so I'm treating him right now with Melafix. His tail's growing back faster than I could've ever hoped for.

Oh! Make sure that you're feeding a really good diet right now as well. Live food or a dry like Hikari Betta Bio-Gold will give him the nutrition he needs to repair the damage.

I am using betta fix and he is getting different variaty of bloodworm, shrimp, and Hikari Betta. I will keep up his meds but I can already see an improvement. thank you.

knttnkitty
05-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I will do the full 7 day treatment. He looks so much better.

rich311k
05-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Wonderful to hear the little guys is recovering well.