PDA

View Full Version : DIY Fry Divider

Chrona
03-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Your guppy get knocked up? Have nowhere to put the fry? Don't fret, this DIY fry divider will work for any size tank, and will hold you over until you can get a larger tank. More aesthetically pleasing that a breeding cage, this project will cost you a few bucks (or nothing if you have scrap plexiglass at home), and take about 30 minutes to make. It is also a better long term solution unless you have a really big breeder net.

Some pictures first so you know what I'm talking about.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/5945/dsc0339sc3.th.jpg (http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0339sc3.jpg)

The grooves at the top

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/468/dsc0340zp8.th.jpg (http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0340zp8.jpg)

NOTE: If you get what I did just from the pictures, then there is no need to read the rest of this! lol

First, measure the distance from the bottom of the tank (the bottom glass) to the upper lip of the tank (if you have a lipless tank, then just measure it to 1/2 inch from the edge. Subtract 1/2 inch from this. This is the height you will be using. It doesn't not reach all the way to the bottom, so that with some substrate underneath it, the top edge of the plate is snug against the lip of the tank. Now figure how much space you will need for your fry in gallons (or less than a gallon for very few fry) Keep in mind that the barrier will be very permeable, so the 1 inch per fish rule does not apply. The fry only need enough space to be fairly comfortable and have some space to move around in.

Then, use the aquarium calculator, found here:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/volume-calculator.html

The height is the height you measured. Width and length should be the same number. Play around with the number until you get TWICE your desired volume. This is because the divider will sit in a corner, and the shape will be a triangular prism, not a rectangle. Note the length and width. Get a calculator and multiply this value by 1.4. This is the width you need to cut your plexiglass to.

Now for the actual construction. This is easy.

1) Cut a sheet of plexiglass to the desired size. The best way to do this is to score it heavily with a sharp knife, using a metal ruler as a guide, then put the score line on a table edge so it snaps cleanly. IMPORTANT: This is absolutely crucial. The sides of the cut shape must be EXACTLY square, meaning 90 degree angles. Use a square or something. If your divider is off kilter, keeping your small fry in it will be a PITA.

2) Drill holes. Hole sizes can vary from 1/16 inch to 1/8 inch. You don't want to go much bigger. Smaller holes means you will need to drill more of them. Drill LOTS of holes. This is the most time-consuming part.

3) Cut two grooves at the top edge of the plate, as seen in the second picture. They should converge slightly, or the rubber band will slip out. You can use any kind of saw.

4) Slide it into the tank. Bury it just far enough into the gravel so the top edge is snug against the lip of the tank. Put a rubber band around the grooves made, and loop the other end around the corner of the fish tank. Yes, it will hold, trust me.

5) Pour fish in

6) Every day or so, I pour a cup of water from the main part of the tank into the divided part. This essentially flushes out any dissolved waste.

Note that this works better if you put it in a corner with high flow. My HOB filter causes a current right in that corner, so the water in there gets lots of circulation.

Well, that's my two cents. I guess you could also cut the interior of the plate out and silicone some netting instead for better flow, but my goal was to have a functional divider that wasn't an eyesore. Also, I only have four fry in there, so it's not needed. The benefit of having a clear divider like this is that all the other fish in the tank will get accustomed to the fry and vice versa. When I actually release them into the tank, I will be able to see if this helped or not, depending on my angelfish's reaction.

And yes, this post probably took me longer to make than that divider.

*Sarah*
03-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Neat idea, thanks Chrona!

cocoa_pleco
03-04-2007, 05:05 AM
i'l have 2 try that

Ladyjasmine
03-07-2007, 01:14 PM
that is a great idea!!!

Drumachine09
03-08-2007, 02:37 AM
Thats a pretty cool idea. Did you think that up yourself.

Chrona
03-08-2007, 02:48 AM
Yep. I realize my entire post can be summed up in "Plexiglass in corner with holes," but I'm an engineer, so it's never that simple. I was considering adding a flux capacitor as well, but I figured I should stick to the KI(R)SS (keep it (relatively) simple, stupid) mantra.

xoolooxunny
03-08-2007, 02:48 AM
goooooood stuff you got there!! will keep that in the brain files for future use

Drumachine09
03-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Yep. I realize my entire post can be summed up in "Plexiglass in corner with holes," but I'm an engineer, so it's never that simple. I was considering adding a flux capacitor as well, but I figured I should stick to the KI(R)SS (keep it (relatively) simple, stupid) mantra.

Dont be afraid to add unneccesary bells and whistles. That stuffs cool!

Lauren B.
03-10-2007, 03:39 AM
That looks really great. It actually looks professionally manufactured and store-bought. Who knew that we'd discover your hidden talent of drilling perfectly straight into a chunk of plexiglass. Maybe you can start your own website..... www.ICanDrillStraitIntoPlexiglass.com. The intro page can open with "Would you like your default home page to be in: English or Chinese?" :ezpi_wink1:

Chrona
03-10-2007, 03:43 AM
That looks really great. It actually looks professionally manufactured and store-bought. Who knew that we'd discover your hidden talent of drilling perfectly straight into a chunk of plexiglass. Maybe you can start your own website..... www.ICanDrillStraitIntoPlexiglass.com. The intro page can open with "Would you like your default home page to be in: English or Chinese?" :ezpi_wink1:

Oh dear, I need sleep. I actually just clicked on that link. I like the idea, but I would probably make the website ICanDrillStraightIntoPlexiglass.com ;)

xoolooxunny
03-10-2007, 03:56 AM

Talk about Laughing out loud! You got me Lauren, sorry, off topic, but I had to let you know! Well, to keep it on topic, let me ask you this Chrona: does plexiglass only come in one thickness, and how's the algae growth on them?

Chrona
03-10-2007, 04:01 AM
I have a receding brown algae in my tank atm, so the plate is kinda covered, but then again, so are most surfaces in the tank. As of yet, I haven't seen any other forms of algae grow on it, perhaps because I have it in a high flow area. It is kind of a PITA to clean though, because it's in a corner, but I figure that little amount of algae can't hurt. (right in the path of the filter outlet) Plexiglass comes in all thicknesses (it's just acrylic), ie the various thicknesses used to make those custom tanks, but for the most part, the variety you buy at the hardware store for windows is like 1/8 inch or 3/16 inch (can't remember which one), which is plenty in this case.

Drumachine09
03-10-2007, 04:01 AM
Plexiglass comes anywhere (ime) for 1/16"-3" algea grows the same one pretty much any surface. It is fairly easy to handle a thinner peice(also cheaper) but it is also more fragile. Use only SHARP drill bits and drill very slowly, as the plexiglass tends to crack and break off. I reccomend a brand called acrylite. It is what they use in aircrafts and is very sturdy. Try to get the kind with the plastic cover, not the adhesive backed paper, as it can be stubborn to remove the paper someties. If you can only get the paper backed kind, take a long blunt object, like a ruler, and rub the flat edge on the paper to release all of the adhesive. Then soak it in a bath of 70% water,30% baby oil for a day or so. It is very easy to get the paper off that way. The solution is even decent working at 90%-10%. Make sure you mix the water every once in a while to keep the oil and water from seperating too much.

Chrona
03-10-2007, 04:04 AM
I forgot to mention...draw a grid on the piece too, so you know where to drill. You can do the awmagawddrillallovertheplace strategy, but it ends up looking terrible. Trust me, it's worth the extra 5 minutes :)

xoolooxunny
03-10-2007, 04:07 AM
Thanks, guys!

Drumachine09
03-10-2007, 04:08 AM
Any time. Need any help on anything crafty like, dont be afraid to pm me.

Chrona
03-10-2007, 04:09 AM
No, PM me, I'm better with my hands.

Drumachine09
03-10-2007, 04:11 AM
...that hurts. Right in the heart. That was cold man...

Lauren B.
03-10-2007, 04:17 AM
I actually just clicked on that link. I like the idea, but I would probably make the website ICanDrillStraightIntoPlexiglass.com ;)

That is so funny...when I re-read the post I was surprised that it was underlined like an active link as well!

Yeah, normally I would have spelled straight properly, but I stuttered for a moment with the "ICan" at the beginning...being a little unsure of what to do with two capitals next to eachother. I got a little grammatically insecure after that and went with the phonetical, but wholly incorrect, strait. Maybe on the Chinese portion of the site you can spell it correctly! thumbs2:

hungryhound
03-11-2007, 02:02 AM
Absolutely love the fry divider and should we have any success with breeding (it would probably help toget a few females in the tank first), we'll have to keep that in mind!

Chrona
03-13-2007, 04:15 PM
A little update. I went back and drilled about twice as many holes in the divider. The fry were getting bigger, so I didn't think I had enough flow going to them. So if you are going to make this, then drill LOTS of holes (2x more than I have in the pic) I may make another divider out of a plexiglass frame and window screening for the mesh. Sure it will look ugly, but this initial "prototype" wasn't allowing enough water to flow. I "flushed" the space out each day with cups of tank water, but with a screen, you won't have to do that.

cccyyy
08-02-2008, 11:28 AM
I will try it out.
Thank you very much !