PDA

View Full Version : Filter Modification - Anyone try this?

Faith_at_Large
03-01-2007, 07:54 PM
I have a Regent (Wal-Mart) power filter at home that uses Penquin Rite-Size A cartridges. I am in the process of setting up a second ten gallon tank where I work with a Topfin 15 power filter which uses bags. The two filters seem very similar. Is there any reason why I couldn't remove the foam and carbon from a used cartridge (from my Regent), put the plastic frame back in and use a bag system in the Regent, like I would with my Topfin? It seems like it would work nicely.

Anyone ever try this?

Anyone know of any reason why it wouldn't work?

Could I customize my filtration this way? I.e. set it up so I am not completely changing my filtrations system each month all at once.

Cichlid_Man
03-01-2007, 08:11 PM
I ALWAYS take out carbon and foam and anything else the manufacturer puts in there and I replace it with filter floss, and a media bag filled with bio-max.
It's the best thing you can do for water clarity and plenty of good bacteria.

Just make sure not to over stuff the filter as sometimes if you do that the water can back up.
Just put as much filter floss to try and reproduce the size of the foam, and the bio max you can just put a media bag filled with it.

Sasquatch
03-01-2007, 08:29 PM
If your filtration uses a certain type of cartridge, you should probably stick with it. Keep in mind that Marineland makes "Rite Size" cartriges that don't contain any media.

Changing media type will probably change the way water flows in your filter and this can have a big impact on how well your filter works.

Alternatively, you can do like Cichlid Man and remove the media from the filters you already have. You don't really need the carbon or other stuff, just filter floss should do the job.