PDA

View Full Version : Plants & fish in pond

Lady D
05-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Help. I have koi & shubunkin in pond and bought a rose arey to put in pond. When I got home and read instructions it says not to put in pond w koi. Will it kill my fish or something?

young_cichlid
05-06-2009, 06:21 PM
welcome ac:22:. ive never seen anything that says not to mix the two but if thats what the insturctions say i wouldn't mix them.

troy
05-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Help. I have koi & shubunkin in pond and bought a rose arey to put in pond. When I got home and read instructions it says not to put in pond w koi. Will it kill my fish or something?
Most likely the koi will eat the plant.

Northernguy
05-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
I would research the plant first.It could kill your fish if it eats it!

smaug
05-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Koi are notorious rooters,they relish the roots of most plants.It could be it is a warning to keep the plant from being destroyed or it could be poisonious to them.Google it,Im going too.Ok,I just did,arey is a hardy tropical lily or lotus?I dont think its a poison issue but a koi eating it issue.How big is your pond and how big are your koi?

Crispy
05-07-2009, 11:58 PM
if it is not poisonous, then you will be fine. Most pond plants multiply so fast in the summer months that the koi will not be able to keep up with them to eradicate your plants. Plants are a very good food source for many pond fish and help with filtration... so win win situation. If you're starting out with only a little bit of plants, you might want to put them somewhere very shallow untill they start to multiply.

smaug
05-08-2009, 12:03 AM
if it is not poisonous, then you will be fine. Most pond plants multiply so fast in the summer months that the koi will not be able to keep up with them to eradicate your plants. Plants are a very good food source for many pond fish and help with filtration... so win win situation. If you're starting out with only a little bit of plants, you might want to put them somewhere very shallow until they start to multiply.
That logic doesn't apply to pond Lily's.They are normally expensive,if the tuber gets damaged the plant dies.Its ok to throw in some Hyacinth,water lettuce or anachris for such purposes as letting the fish eat them but for Lily's it gets a bit pricey.When the koi are small,say under a foot or so they don't seem to be as bad eating Lily's but when they get bigger they are veritable hogs.