PDA

View Full Version : Best algae eaters with discus?

SpyderSpy6
05-06-2009, 06:05 PM
I wanted to open up a discussion to find what people have found best for algae eaters in their discus tanks.

I currently have only 1 pleco, that is becoming fairly large and will soon need to be swapped to a large tank. I have also come back to using a pleco because of their pure algae eating power, but once they become larger they always seem to start latching on to my discus fish. I am looking at going with a fleet of smaller algae eaters...

What are some of the algae eaters recommended and if you have had success with a specific species please let me know.

young_cichlid
05-06-2009, 06:10 PM
try ottos or shirmp. if there are no other fish in the tank shrimp should work but ottos are nice to.

fishbum
05-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Otos or nerite snails.I would get otos only if you have a planted tank.If the tank isn't planted,then more than likely otos won't survive.Nerite snails are great algae eaters,and in fresh water,they will not reproduce.I have had success keeping both for algae control.Just make sure your tank has enough room for them.

Fishalicious
05-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I am gonna recommend another pleco - Bulldog Pleco (Chaetostoma cf. thomasi) also known as the rubbernose... they stay small (4 inches) and although prefer a colder temp do wonderful in warmer water as long as there is enough oxygen....I have a happy guy in 80F who I have had for 4 years now.

These are algae destroyers of the highest grade... I put one in a tank where the 6 feet backing wall was completely covered in algae - within 3 days it was sparkling and sunglasses were needed :hmm3grin2orange:

As with all algae eaters once the algae is gone you will need to supplement with spirinula, algae tablets and some fresh veggies.

domjd05
05-07-2009, 12:17 AM
I've heard that the bristlenose pleco will do well with discus.. When I kept discus I didn't use any algae eaters.. they will get used of you scraping the glass w. a magnet cleaner and will get used of the gravel vac. soon enough... just go slowly and I found turning off one of the lights helped calm the stress.

kennedpa
05-07-2009, 06:23 AM
I have kept Plecos, Bristlenose and Ottos.... oh and a flying fox...he doesnt hassle the Discus at all...only the other fish...and dammed if I can catch him to take him back to the shop:ssuprised:

kennedpa
05-07-2009, 07:18 AM
You could always go for a Farlowella or two. They love algea

mac
05-07-2009, 08:13 AM
I am more with the Ottos and plecos of the smaller types. Bristle Nose are great, mine did a great job at keeping the algae down.

mac