PDA

View Full Version : flowerpot and mushroom coral doesnt open up

guleng
05-06-2009, 04:02 AM
Hi there,

I just bought a flowerpot coral and a mushroom coral for two weeks ago.
They didn't open up as i saw at the shop.

The solution i am using now is :
1. Coral vital
2. Calcium

thanks

coachfraley
05-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Hey guleng. Welcome to AC!

Let us know a little more about your tank...size, amount of live rock, your lighting, etc.

Have you tested all of your parameters?

Mushrooms are tough as nails. If they don't open up, there is usually something wrong.

labnjab
05-06-2009, 04:12 AM
We need to know a few things to help you

-tank size
-how much live rock
-how long its been running
-ammonia, nitrate, calcium, alkalinity, phosphate, ph, Specific gravity or as much as you can
-what your using for flow
-lighting
and anything else you can tell us about your setup.

I did a little research and it looks like the flower pot is a very sensitive coral and needs perfect water conditions and should be fed daily, and even when provided with these conditions has a very low survival rate in captivity (usually less then a year).
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2157+2178&aid=2317

Mushrooms are almost impossible to kill so it should come around depending on your setup

edit: you beat me coach

guleng
05-06-2009, 05:11 AM
i have only one live rock and 3 dead coral stone.
i just change the water.
my ligthing will be only blue and white in a single bulb.

labnjab
05-06-2009, 05:20 AM
How big is the tank and how much do the rocks weigh? What wattage is the bulb? Sounds like its a power compact bulb. A single power compact bulb isn't enough for a flowerpot.

guleng
05-06-2009, 11:50 AM
my tank is 1 1/2 feet length. and i just bought a new light that is dymax with 4 bulb. the seller told me is 12000k.
after i done the water changes, my nitrite spike to maximum. But all of my fish is healthy. Is there any solution.
And i'm using de'nirate product.

oldhead
05-06-2009, 12:11 PM
You're going to have to be more specific if you really want some help. We need to know what your water test results look like and what the specific lighting your using is. To me at this point it sounds like poor water parameters and lighting are the two major contributing factors. Post more deatiled information when you have the time.

guleng
05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
hi there,
my lighting brand is dymax REX-4
my tank is 1 1/2 feet
nirite spike till maximum, ph was 8.2, KH will be 10 drop
my coral fluid is coral vital by marc weiss

labnjab
05-08-2009, 11:21 AM
1 and a half feet doesn't tell us much about you tank size. Is that the length or height. Just the number 18 inches can be anywhere from a 29 gallon to a 150. What are the exact dimensions? We'd love to help you but we need more specific information. We need exact nitrate, ammonia, calcium and phosphate lvls. We also need your specific gravity or salinity, temperature, how many pounds of live rock you have, what your water change schedule is, what do you have for fish and inverts. You ph and kh are within the norm, but a nitrate of any kind can be harmful to coral, especially a flowerpot coral. Basically we need any little detail about your tank that you can tell us. Thank you