PDA

View Full Version : Snail ID Please

DrNic
05-06-2009, 01:04 AM
I know that I have pink ramshorn snails in a couple of my tanks.

However I keep finding a second kind of snail in the tanks that I can't identify. They are very rare but do pop up from time to time. I finally managed to get a photo of one, but I can't figure out what kind of snail it is.

Any ideas?

Cameron
05-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Looks to me like a common pond snail that reproduce like.. grass. so yeah kind of bad news, those things need to be kept in check.thumbs2:

DrNic
05-07-2009, 04:52 AM
Looks to me like a common pond snail that reproduce like.. grass. so yeah kind of bad news, those things need to be kept in check.thumbs2:
I'll keep an eye on them. I've never seen more than 2 or 3 in a tank at any one time.

Dave66
05-07-2009, 04:58 AM
This (http://www.planetinverts.com/pond_snail.html) your boy Nic?

Dave

DrNic
05-07-2009, 05:14 AM
This (http://www.planetinverts.com/pond_snail.html) your boy Nic?

Dave
Looks about right. The spotting pattern on the shell is close. Can't tell if it's teh same spiral on the shell from that photo though. I'll make sure I keep my eye on the little buggers :hmm3grin2orange:

kennedpa
05-07-2009, 06:10 AM
Bad news alright - I would get a couple of clown loaches (rather than going doen the chemical path) , they will end the snail population and have a great feed of live food at the sametime:19:

Mvjnz
05-07-2009, 06:22 AM
I would NOT get clown loaches unless the tank is huge. If you go with loaches you can't have any other snails in the tank, and you'd need to go with a much smaller species, and get a group of at least 3, but preferably 5 or more.

I wouldn't bother with that tho, as pond snails are really not that bad unless you seriously overfeed the tank. Mine don't touch plants at all. Assuming you don't overfeed, they won't breed very fast, and if they do become a problem, crushing them against the glass with a spoon will keep the population under control.

I just leave mine alone tho, and I don't have that many.

kennedpa
05-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Well personally I didnt want any snails in my tanks at all. Hence the clown loach "option". My loaches are doing fine in my 3ft tank and have been for 5yrs:22: ... as an added bonus ZERO population of snails, spiral, pond or other thumbs2: