PDA

View Full Version : Salt issue

MeganL3985
05-05-2009, 11:52 PM
I have neons and cory's in my 20 gallon. Its not salted. But I would like to keep guppies in there too soon and I know they like salt. Do they need salt or is it just beneficial? I know this is a controversial subject with a lot of people, I just want to get a general consensus.

Algenco
05-06-2009, 12:00 AM
I've kept guppies off and on for 40 years, never used salt

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Megan, there is a sticky in the Beginner forum regarding Salt, have a read through it, you will likely find it helpful. Here'sthe link
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=31554

None of the common livebearers (guppies, platies, mollies, and swordtails) need salt to thrive. What they do need is good water quality.

robnepper
05-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Hey Megan. I have kept them both with and without and have not found it beneficial. Since they are able to adapt to salt, brackish or fresh, I think they are fine in any circumstance.

nwnittany
05-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Megan,

I have no allegiance to either side of the 'salt war', but fwiw, I've kept and bred (maybe that's redundant) guppies for a couple of years and they've always done just fine without salt. Very happy, beautiful colors, never any sicknesses....

Gayle
05-06-2009, 12:45 AM
I do not think they need the salt. I think it would only just be a hassel for you with no benefit to the fish.

Red
05-06-2009, 12:55 AM
never used salt, never would.
glad to you back :)

bushwhacker
05-06-2009, 03:16 AM
not needed megan

HeatherB
05-06-2009, 04:36 AM
I used salt when I first got my fish. Now I have some just in case we come down with ick or something. To be used for therapeutic of course, in conjunction with medicine. I do add some, not the whole tsp or whatever. When I do a big water change, (over 75%) because I do think it kind of helps with slime coat, eases stress etc. May be just me!

bushwhacker
05-06-2009, 06:13 AM
heather the only reason it helps with the slime coat is because it actually stresses the fish...salt is an irritant...... in a fresh water tank its really uneeded... if ya got ich yeah the salt and turning up the heat is the best way to cure it otherwise i'd leave it on the shelf

Little Embers
05-06-2009, 06:39 AM
I agree!...and the general consensus at the moment seems to be a resounding NO!! :ssmile:

Also I don't think the Cory's would appreciate the salt very much, not many so-called scaleless fish do and it can burn them.