PDA

View Full Version : What kind of music do your fish like?

Jaster
05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
I noticed something with my fish over the weekend that just made me laugh and I had to share.

I had my son, my g/f's 2 and 1 of her daughters at the house this weekend and they spent most of the time fighting over my stereo and what station it was going to be on. So did the typical "you each get a 1/2 hour" thing, peace was restored in the universe... yay me.

Anyway... while the stations were getting changed from metal to hiphop to rap to country the fish in my main tanks would move. I don't mean like swim around move... to the other end of the tank. When my g/f's daughter put on hiphop/dance they went as far as they could to the far end of the tank away from the speaker. (is about 5 feet away from the tank... wasn't loud at all). When my son changed it to the metallica CD for his turn all of them went back and stayed closer to the speaker end of the tank.

So I thought this was interesting (and I was seriously bored) and used my parental prerogative powers to re-take my stereo. I started to flip through stations to see what they did. Here is what I found...

-Rock they stayed near the speaker side of the tank
-dance/hiphop/rap far away
-Country, classic rock and Jazz they became quit active and were back and forth through the tank.
-They loved Blues they were right up to the glass nearest the speaker and very active
-soft/mellow rock and classical they didn't really do anything. they spread back out through the tank.

I'm sure this is just a sound wave thing but it was hilarious to watch the reactions. Anyone else ever notice something like this with fish?

But I got to thinking and had an odd thought... do you think playing music for the fish could be a good idea? Say they seemed stressed, adding a new fish, water changes... they mellowed right out with soft rock... think it would help calm them down? or if a fish seems kind of slow, think some BB King would get them moving a bit? lol :hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
05-04-2009, 02:47 PM
60s and 70s rock and blues!

Rap makes my fish attack the glass and try to jump out of the tank.:hmm3grin2orange:

mommy1
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
since they're my fish they love pink floyd.
and eventhough i've never tested it i'm pretty sure they would react the same to rap and country as NG's fish. i know i want to jump out of my tank when i hear it.

MCHRKiller
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
My fish seem to enjoy my 90s industrial granted they get to hear it all the time...or rather I assume feel the vibrations mostly. Now when Im not at my LFS my netters play some hard core redneck country, and my large display fish are just kind of laying there. I come in and start playing some of my usual stuff then they really do seem to perk up and move around more. Its not loud either just some background noise :)

bushwhacker
05-04-2009, 10:58 PM
someone plays rap around me i tend to jump out the nearest window too.. but old rock and country never seem to bother my fish

Algenco
05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
a few years back I found a big school of Striped Bass in a cove, they hung around for weeks, well the cove became a big party spot, lots of boats music, etc.
As boating activity increased so did the size of the school of Stripers, loud music didn't seem to bother them until the played Rap, the school vanished instantly!!!!!!!

Mith
05-04-2009, 11:44 PM
My fish definitely prefer talk radio.....Sean Hannity when he's on!

Cameron
05-05-2009, 12:15 AM
someone plays rap around me i tend to jump out the nearest window too.. but old rock and country never seem to bother my fish

I agree, idk about my fish, never tried it with fish though.

labnjab
05-05-2009, 12:21 AM
someone plays rap around me i tend to jump out the nearest window too.. Us too 100%, we hate rap and country, and love most types of rock old and new and metal

we never really play music in the house now but I do notice they will watch tv, but in our old house our male betta Freddy loved AC/DC. He would go crazy dancing. We haven't played it in a while but I'm going to see if he has the same reaction now

glarior
05-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Rock, metal, symphony, oldies, classic rock... they love them all except rap/r&b... I can't blame them for that lol!

My oldest fish(s) likes the TV more. If I watch the Gangland show on History channel they will stay in the same spot for the entire show. If they could live out of the tank I am sure they would be on the floor inches away from the TV.

NanoTankGuy
05-05-2009, 01:28 AM
I play my electric with my little practice amp and fish don't seem to mind (I usually play smth like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow) :) Sometimes, if I look close enough, I could swear they bang their heads a bit :)

Jaster
05-05-2009, 02:23 AM
ok glad it's not just me and I'm seeing things! lol

So when I go fishing with my dad this summer i'm cranking up some music!

MCHRKiller
05-05-2009, 02:26 AM
lol, now I wonder if our fish really do care or if we are projecting our own feelings and preferences onto our fish :14:

Gayle
05-05-2009, 02:30 AM
I played some rap for my fish, to see how they would react, assuming that it is soundwaves.....................My Pleco jumped out of the tank and smacked me with his tail and said wtf u thinkin B@#$%.................
LOL Just teasin, I never play rap so IDK what they would do, but they do appear to like louder heavier music, or atleast they get more active when I play Pantera or something. When I play any other type of music like country they just kinda chill as usual.

Jaster
05-05-2009, 03:48 AM
Now I'm kind of curious what they must have been thinking when my son and I were playing Gears of War 2 with the surround sound on... :hmm3grin2orange: