PDA

View Full Version : Article on CO2 injection

SouthernGal0682
03-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Just finished reading this article. Its long, but it was interesting. It all makes sense, but once again, a few examples of contradictory information over the internet.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Chrona
03-02-2007, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the link! I like big, long articles that cover everything as well. It's much less confusing than having to find tidbits at various sites.

jweintraub
03-02-2007, 04:17 AM
Definately a bookmark for a rainy day!

Lady Hobbs
03-02-2007, 02:35 PM

Snowy, cold and icey, too, so I am reading it now. Thanks Jon.

OH MAN. This DIY co2 is getting more complicated by the minute. I ordered 3 of those little bubble counters last night so if I want to change my direction, will do so. I might send for those bulk heads for attaching airline to bottles. I like that idea.

Chrona
03-02-2007, 03:25 PM

Snowy, cold and icey, too, so I am reading it now. Thanks Jon.

OH MAN. This DIY co2 is getting more complicated by the minute. I ordered 3 of those little bubble counters last night so if I want to change my direction, will do so. I might send for those bulk heads for attaching airline to bottles. I like that idea.

LOL, CO2 injection is only as complicated as you make it imo. I'm gonna stop overanalyzing and just stick it in. It's up an running now, at a very slow rate. I'm gonna check on the pH when I get home in a few hours, but I added plenty of baking soda so it shouldn't be a problem.

Lady Hobbs
03-02-2007, 04:09 PM
You only use the baking soda if you have very soft water, you know?

Chrona
03-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Water hardness is not the same as alkalinity though :)

Alkalinity is how well your water buffers against acidity. Water hardness is how much calcium and magnesium is dissolved in your water. While, in general, hard water will mean you have a high pH and kH, it is not always true. I was surprised when I test my hardness a few days ago. pH was about 7.5 as expected. Hardness was very high. Alkalinity, however, has only 80ppm, or 4dH, which is borderline dangerous if you are doing CO2 injections. And this was my tap water too. In my tank, I used acid buffers that eat up the alkainity, so it actually measured 0 (!) dH. I did a 25% water change with just straight tap water (with aquasafe), then added baking soda in small increments. Total, I think I added about 1 teaspoon. 1 teaspoons is supposed to raise your alkalinity by 4 dH, so I figured with the water change and the 3/4 teaspoon, I was more or less at 4-5 dH for alkalinity.

I just tested the water, and the pH has not dropped at all (well, maybe like 0.1) The reactor has been going for about 5 hours now, and my 1.75 cup sugar (ran out) with 3/4 teaspoon yeast recipe is working nicely. I had to add more yeast than usual, because the house is usually fairly cold. I'm getting about 4 bubbles per minute now from the air tube. It goes into an airstone that feeds the intake of the HOB filter, so the small bubbles keep the cavitation to a minimum. In other news, Aquadise FINALLY got my order of Anubias nana right. They are so slow, but darn good customer service. I now have a large Anubias azafiel (sp?) and TWO anubias nana for my 4 bucks.

Oh dear, I just realized I'm overthinking again :rolleyes: