PDA

View Full Version : Turbo snails eat other snails?

glarior
05-03-2009, 11:19 PM
I got some more snails for my tank to control the algae. Well, I put them into the aquarium and my other snails came over to check them out. About ten minutes later I walked by and noticed the turbo snail has half of my other snail inside of it! I was shocked! I took the snail out and help coax him to let the other snail go. Bad snail! lol

Was the turbo snail really trying to eat the other snail or were they checking each other out?

Just curious...

rageybug
05-04-2009, 02:03 AM
I have never had a turbo eat another snail but it is very possible that is exactly what happened. It is more of an issue with conch than turbos though. It may have found new algae on the snail and thought it was a source of food. I would monitor this but I doubt you will lose all of your snails to the turbos.

glarior
05-04-2009, 03:05 AM
I am not worried its nature doing its thing...Thx!

kaybee
05-05-2009, 10:23 PM
How big was the smaller snail? The turbo had the entire snail inside its mouth?

glarior
05-06-2009, 02:54 AM
How big was the smaller snail? The turbo had the entire snail inside its mouth?

I would say max of an 3/4" and the turbo 2-3x the size. And yes, it was devouring the other snail lol. I am pretty sure it thought the snail was algae and might have spit it back out but I intervened... I mean c'mon I paid 2$ for that sucker I am not going to let him eat it for supper :hmm3grin2orange: It was kinda funny....

coachfraley
05-06-2009, 06:54 AM
I've seen snails eating the algae off of each other's shells. Maybe this is how it started?