PDA

View Full Version : Discus food?

Sunny3h
05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
What type of food young discus like most?Flake food or Blood worms?I heard blood worms is the best food for discus.Is it true?
I have a box of flake food and a tetra bits for my gold fish and swordtail.If someone feed their discus NLS food then which food will good for discus?Discus formula or Spectrum Grow??Can I feed my discus tetra bits??Please tell me which food will be good for my discus because I'll buy a 2 inch discus for join discus world!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-03-2009, 08:01 PM
What type of food young discus like most?Flake food or Blood worms?I heard blood worms is the best food for discus.Is it true?
According to Jack Wattley Blood Worms are one of the worst foods for Discus. The skin of the blood worms is a bit tough and the digestive system of a young Discus does not process it well. Things like enriched brine shrimp, beef heart, and high quality pellet food.[/quote]

I have a box of flake food and a tetra bits for my gold fish and swordtail.If someone feed their discus NLS food then which food will good for discus?Discus formula or Spectrum Grow??
There is very little difference between the different NLS formulas. I personally use the Thera +A 1mm sinking pellets for my Discus. This is what I have fed them since I got them and they are doing great on it.

Can I feed my discus tetra bits??Please tell me which food will be good for my discus because I'll buy a 2 inch discus for join discus world!The breeder I bought my Discus from raised his Discus on Tetra Bits.

How big is the tank you are adding this Discus to, and how may are you planning? Will there be any tankmates?

Fishguy2727
05-03-2009, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't and don't feed any Tetra any more. My discus get NLS exclusively. I would feed the Thera+A because the extra garlic in it is enough to kill internal and external parasites. It was the only thing I needed to rid mine of the internal parasites discus are so prone to.

Dkarc
05-03-2009, 09:07 PM
A good quality pellet food is all that most fish need. Just make sure the protein is 45-50% and no greater than 12% lipids for better growth. Hardest part with discus is getting them to eat a pelleted food readily. They have some extreme palatability issues (which is why beefheart is so easily accepted). Once you get past that issue, you're golden.

-Ryan

kennedpa
05-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Well, if you can get on flake food that is great. There are many discus mixes on the market ( pellets, that supposedly float). Personally I have always got my butcher to supply me with beefs hearts. Freeze em hard, grate em with some carrots ( for colour), put it in a plastic bag and roll it flat. Feeding time break off a piece and throw it in the tank...they luv it. Or you could buy the pre made stuff, but I have no idea whats in that. Mine eat flake, discuss pellets and beefs heart....they just eat

Sunny3h
05-04-2009, 05:59 PM
According to Jack Wattley Blood Worms are one of the worst foods for Discus. The skin of the blood worms is a bit tough and the digestive system of a young Discus does not process it well. Things like enriched brine shrimp, beef heart, and high quality pellet food.

There is very little difference between the different NLS formulas. I personally use the Thera +A 1mm sinking pellets for my Discus. This is what I have fed them since I got them and they are doing great on it.

The breeder I bought my Discus from raised his Discus on Tetra Bits.

How big is the tank you are adding this Discus to, and how may are you planning? Will there be any tankmates?[/QUOTE]

I will buy a tank for discus which length will be 2 feet and hight will be 1 feet.
Yes,discus tankmates will be the guppy..
Thanks all for valuables reply.

kennedpa
05-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Yeh I have read that about blood worms...but no issues yet. However when I used to feed em tubifex a couple of my discuss got head lice ( aka hole in head) which I had to treat. Then I switched to black worms, then stopped once I did some research... a safe thing is mozzie larva... I have a bucket in the backyard full of water and nature does the rest.

twoputt
05-30-2009, 02:54 PM
You can make your own food for your discus. There are lots of fish food recipes on the net.

http://www.discushatchery.com/food.html

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/foods_nutritions/recipes/index.shtml

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~davidr/discus/diet.html

domjd05
06-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Discus bio gold, made by hikari... they float for a minute then slowly sink, perfect for discus.

alittlered
07-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I feed hikari brand . (discus food, blood worms, krill, brine shrimp/spirillina, and brine shrimp) these all come in frozen tiny icecube form, you just take out a small container of water from your tank, pop the amount of cubes you need into the water and when they are thawed (2 mins max) pour the whole thing in the water.

I have some discus that will eat pellet but most of mine will not as the breeder fed solely bloodworms (frozen Hikari sheets)

Greg6585
10-21-2009, 03:41 AM
They also have NLS flakes, which I do use for my tropicals. I'm wondering if anyone uses them for their Discus?

Fishguy2727
10-21-2009, 12:53 PM
NLS is great but I wouldn't use the flakes for discus, I would use Thera+A pellets of the right size. The Thera+A have enough garlic to kill parasites, which discus are prone to.

Greg6585
10-22-2009, 01:59 AM
NLS is great but I wouldn't use the flakes for discus, I would use Thera+A pellets of the right size. The Thera+A have enough garlic to kill parasites, which discus are prone to.

:rockon: Sounds good, thnx

domjd05
10-22-2009, 02:53 AM
yeah, pellets are great for discus.. try to find ones that will sink slowly, discus don't always come to the top to feed, and I've never seen one feed off the bottom.

Hikari discus pellets are good for this, but they are tiny and still may go uneaten due to there size, I've also noticed considerable algae growth when I feed my fish these pellets.

domjd05
10-22-2009, 02:56 AM
Whoops this is an older thread... had no idea I'd already posted in it. Good day.:22:

Discus_Dude
11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
In my opinion, a varied diet is best. frozen Hikari blood worms (only), frozen brine shrimp or mysis shrimp, pellets such as Thera A+, and frozen beef heart mix (great for faster grow-out for your discus that usually contains beef heart, shrimp, multi-vitamins, some spinich etc.)

My preference, is to feed beef heart at least once a day and alternate the others for the remaining meals.

Hope this helps,
DD