PDA

View Full Version : Am considering a brack tank,,,,,ideas for stocking?

smaug
05-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I have a spare 58 gal tall just setting around,I have an extra light and a budget for all the accesorys.I know I want at least 1 archer fish if not 2.I know that some types get too big for my tank.Fish that I am interested in are archers,puffers,eels and some sort of dither fish.Guide me.It is ok with me if some of the fish are considered difficult.I will not have have any live plants but will use quality realistic plastic and I would like to use real wood such as malay and mopani.Should I be looking at a buffering substrate or will standard gravel/sand be ok?Help me out here folks,throw me a bone:ssmile:

Oscar_freak12321
05-03-2009, 06:38 PM
I have a website that will help you out a lot on the starting of a brackish tank, the fish, and their environment. This will help enormously, trust me.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html
Gotta love badman!

smaug
05-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I have a website that will help you out a lot on the starting of a brackish tank, the fish, and their environment. This will help enormously, trust me.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html
Gotta love badman!
I have looked through that site a few times concerning this,thanks.What Im really looking for is some first hand experiance with brackfish.I realize they arent the prettiest fish out there but ugly and mean is interesting all to its own.

james decruz
09-21-2009, 09:03 PM
hi smaug

I have been keeping brackish fish for about a year now,dwarf puffers are nice fish but some fin nip slow fish.I personaly havn't had any problems with them and i keep 3 in a 190l corner tank.Other fish i have are archer fish another nice fish scats these are greedy and i wouldnt put them in a community tank if you want the other fish to get some food. Reed fish are ok mollies and platys also prefere brackish i also have 2 rocket gar's.The bad points ,the scats eat everything the archers eat bloodworm but prefere live insects eg, crickets small locust etc and the gars will only eat small fish which i have to catch otherwise it would cost to much to feed them.But i wouldn't give a single one up. As far as substrate goes i prefere sand , silver sand or playpit sand will do, it also helps with the nitrogen cycle and is easy to keep clean unlike ug filter with gravel

smaug
09-21-2009, 11:44 PM
hi smaug

I have been keeping brackish fish for about a year now,dwarf puffers are nice fish but some fin nip slow fish.I personaly havn't had any problems with them and i keep 3 in a 190l corner tank.Other fish i have are archer fish another nice fish scats these are greedy and i wouldnt put them in a community tank if you want the other fish to get some food. Reed fish are ok mollies and platys also prefere brackish i also have 2 rocket gar's.The bad points ,the scats eat everything the archers eat bloodworm but prefere live insects eg, crickets small locust etc and the gars will only eat small fish which i have to catch otherwise it would cost to much to feed them.But i wouldn't give a single one up. As far as substrate goes i prefere sand , silver sand or playpit sand will do, it also helps with the nitrogen cycle and is easy to keep clean unlike ug filter with gravel
Well ty for the belated info.I have since started and maintain a 20 gal with a fig 8,knight goby,and 5 bb goby.Its a rather boring little enterprise but I like the puffer,he eats from my fingers.

Amazon
09-22-2009, 01:29 AM
I keep two brack tanks. Of course all mine are native tanks because the US has some awesome gobys, blennys, and other things.
But fpr tropical
It depends on what you like

Big fish:
archer
scat
dragon goby
mono
maybe a brackish catfish but it might get to big for a 58.

With small fish you have a much better choice.

many gobys
all mollys
mudskipper (needs land)
freshwater flounder
tonguefish
many others

I have to say I really love my native brackish tanks with blennys, skilletfish, and gobys so if you live on the coast its a consideration.
Many inverts in our estuaries as well.

dbananas2008
09-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi smaug I'm also considering a brackish tank and wanted archers in there but most do get pretty big, and my tank is a 45 gal so no luck. Now i'm looking into putting desert gobies and p. signifers from the ross river they are pretty interesting looking fish and don't get too big. The figure eight puffers are said to be some of the more docile, but of course they each have their own persona I think they get about 3 in and are really fun to watch they would definately make use of all the levels of the tank. Maybe a species tank? I would use a sand bottom for a brackish tank. I'm personally going to use tahitian moon sand the only thing is that it is said to be hard to initially clean so we will see and I will post. Hope a could help and good luck.thumbs2: