PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone advise me please??

darshk
05-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Hi and help! :help:

I have had my beautiful blue halfmoon betta, Inkie, for a several weeks now and all was fine. Inkie is in a little tank of his own and I carry out a water change every week and so far so good.
Yesterday, I added a new floating plant into Inkie's tank as the old one died and as i've noticed he seems much happier with a plant in there and he likes to sleep in between the roots of the floating plant.
I also bought a new betta and when Inkie saw the new betta in the other thank, both fish flared, it was quite impresive.
Just the next day however (today), Inkie did not greet me excitedly as he normally does when I come to feed him. In fact, he just stayed in one corner of his tank, his mouth to the surface and not moves at all the whole day! He did not eat, even his fav dried bloodworms.
His fins looks shriveleld up and in fact when I brought Herbie (the new crowntalk) nearer, Inkie's gill flared up and he was excited but his fins remained closed up as though it cannot open up.
I changed his water again but I am worried about him :scry:

Can someone please advise, I love Inkie every much!

Thank you!
Darsh

korith
05-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi, I've only had a betta a few weeks myself so not really sure what the problem is. Only thing I can think of is to remove that plant, since he was healthy before it got added into the tank. Then do another water change. Also maybe put something between the tanks so they aren't flaring at each other all the time. May want to treat him with bettafix.

Hopefully someone who knows bettas better can chime in with good info.

Mvjnz
05-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Might be fin rot.

Also, as mentioned above they should not be able to see each other all the time, only let them see each other about 15 minutes once a day, or once every two days.

Northernguy
05-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Have you tested your water?
Do you have a filter and heater?Cycled?
Do you have an airstone?

darshk
05-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi and thanks!

The fishes are not housed side by side, and Inkie only saw the new fish that two times, they are kapt away from each other. No air stone,heater (i live in Malaysia so tropical weather) filter but i change water every week or sooner if dirty.
Yes I have also removed the plant and did a water change. I cant believe how fast things can go so wrong! I always remove access food and ensure his tank is clean. In fact the tail looks worst of now :scry:

Is it fin rot? Bt his tail does not seem to be getting shorter just more shriveled up and red around the edges. The top of his head is a bit red as well. Not an infection i hope?

Darsh

Sharon
05-03-2009, 05:05 PM
It could be, if the fins are red. I'd treat for a bacterial infection, now. You can try Melafix, but it may require something stronger.

Northernguy
05-03-2009, 05:11 PM
You should keep an eye out for an affordable tank with a filter and heater.You will have a lot less trouble keeping your betas healthy in a cycled tank.

darshk
05-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I have a newly cycled tank and Inkie was actually to be moving in there soon sadly, with filter and all. Currently he is in a betta tank, with some gravel and as mentioned a floating plant. With every water change the water is treated with nurafin betta plus water conditioner.

Will start him on an antibacterial treatment. Wil be gettin some antibiotics and aquarium salt tomorrow.

Fingers cross!

Oscar_freak12321
05-03-2009, 06:09 PM
You might want to try adding some stress zyme too, because that helps relieve the stress along with the salt.

thrakuarium
05-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Im all for giving him the appropriate antibotics .... betta fix , mela fix etc, but you may want to hold off the aquarium salt. Many people, myself included, don't think aquarium salt is necessary in a freshwater tank. Those that do use it believe that it helps build up the slime coat. The way that happens is the salt provides a mild irritant that the skin of a HEALTHY fish will counteract by producing more slime coat. Your fish is already weakened by a problem as shown by clamped fins and redness. I would hate to see his condition worsen by the use of something that could place his immune system under further stress.

darshk
05-04-2009, 02:55 AM
Thank goodness you told me that. I do not want to do something out of ignorance thinking I am helping my fish but instead make the poor guy suffer even more. So hold off on the salt.

I tried asking a vet but I was actually told they do not deal with fish and if they did, it would be ornamental fishes which are at least "expensive"!

And checks online provided so many differing advise, including aquarium salt.

My fish's fins are more shriveled than ever, it hurts me to see him like that. Could the red bits at the ends of his fin be his fin bone??? He is also loosing colour.

:scry:

nzgirl
05-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Do you know what the water temp actually is? I've just read that if the water is too cold can cause clamped fins/loss of colour & lethargic, so you could see if he improves in a tank at 80degrees Fahrenheit while treating for fin rot;
take a look at this site: http://www.healthybetta.com/fish-illness-and-cure-information
Good luck:ssmile:

darshk
05-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Thanks! The article was very helpful. I have not checked the temp but have removed him from my room to a warmer part of the house at the moment.
I am currently treating him with an anti-bacterial solution and daily water changes. I still do not know if Inkie has fin rot or bacterial infection.
Am trying to find a store which has fish antibiotic.

darshk
05-05-2009, 05:55 AM
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advise. I really appreciate it. Sadly Inkie did not make it. :scry: I wish i knew what went wrong so fast, in just 2 days he went from an active happy fish to dead. sigh.

In any case, as mentioned, thanks for the advise all.

nzgirl
05-06-2009, 05:03 AM
So sorry to hear about Inky, it's pretty upsetting losing a beloved fish - at least he's not suffering in fishy heaven:fish2:

darshk
05-09-2009, 10:07 AM
thanks. Miss Inkie loads. But yes, at least he isnt suffering anymore.

Kaz
05-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Hmmm...

I wish you beeter luck on your other betta.

Bettas do enjoy floating plants quite a bit so do continue to use them as it was probably not the cause of the problem. Unless it was poisonous but that's a bit too far-fetched for me to believe.

darshk
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks, thats a relief to hear for indeed, i did notice Inkie was much more animated when there was a floating plant. Although you know what they say, once bitten twice shy. Once i move the new betta into the cycled filtered tank, will seach for a floating plant.

Thanks! :ssmile: