PDA

View Full Version : Sick or REALLY pregnant?

Shadowisper
05-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Ok, I have a green tiger barb that at first I thought was pregnant. ITs tummy was fattening up and was doing the traditional swimming vertically mating thing. As of the last week or so the fishes scales seem to be sticking out everywhere and the rear fin seems to have a few bites out of it. I don't suspect fin rot, I just have convicts that tend to nip from time to time and this barb doesn't move nearly as fast as the others. None of the other fish seem intersted in mating either wich makes me wonder as well. The swimming vertically seems to be getter more and more unbalanced as well. Instead of a perfect up and down, she's getting more upside down and wobbly. Any suggestions, remedies, or is it just really pregnant?

Little Embers
05-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Sounds like she is SICK to me Shadowisper. It could be Dropsy if the scales are sticking out (Pine Cone affect) and trouble swimming. Often when the scales start protuding it is in the advanced stages and sadly there isn't much that can be done. This link may help!

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/dropsy.php

Gayle
05-03-2009, 01:12 AM
I agree the scales sticking out and the swelling, sounds like dropsy.

jaysee
05-03-2009, 05:09 AM
An ice bath is the best thing to do at this point. Let the glass of ice water get really cold first, and it'll be over in seconds. Generally, dropsy is not something you're going to cure unless you catch it at the beginning.

gm72
05-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Sick is right. She's probably not doing well as we speak. Let's look at the tank size/filtration/water changing schedule and figure out what happened.

Shadowisper
05-03-2009, 01:12 PM
well, unfortunately I diagnosed too late. I put the barb in my hospital tank yesterday afternoon, and it was dead when I got up this morning. RIP little fishy.

Anyway I do a 30% water change every weekend and my ph hangs in around 7.2-7.4. I don't have any other testers yet so thats all the information I can give you. I've had the 50 gallons set up now for 3 months. My tap water has a really high number ph; I can't tell you exactly because it was off the charts! So I've been slowly bringing it down by doing water changes with 50% tap water and 50% distilled water. The Distilled water has a very low number ph (also at the bottom of the scale). I've tested with that combination and it gets me 7.2. I filter with a tetra whisper 70 which has two large carbon bags. Otherwise all I can tell you is that it is a medium planted tank. All the other fish seem to be doing well enough, and the fish in question, I had gotten about 5 weeks. could this have already been in the system at that time?

Northernguy
05-03-2009, 01:37 PM
You really need a test kit! Liquid is highly recommended!
Take a sample of your tank water to your lfs and have them test it.It is impossible to know what is going on with your tank from looking at the water.
When did your cycle finish? Are you sure?
Ph is important but as long as its stable it is fine.You need to know what your Ammonia,Nitrites and Nitrate levels are!

Shadowisper
05-03-2009, 02:17 PM
how much does it cost and how much do they need? I'm going to do a water change today so would it be beneficial if I bring a sample of before and after? If it costs money I'll just buy a kit.

Gayle
05-03-2009, 02:36 PM
They usually test it for free, but either way you need a test kit. There are many different problems that can occur from poor water quality. The only way to really know what is going on is to keep a close eye on the water conditions such as nitrates/ammonia/nitrites. Do you have a heater? The temp of the water can be pretty important as well. Do you add anything to the water when you do a w/c?

Shadowisper
05-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes I have a heater and the temp is pretty steady at 27 degrees. I do add 'aquasafe' as I do half of my water change right from the tap through my syphon gravel cleaner. I also add liquid plant food from time to time (once every 2 weeksish).