PDA

View Full Version : Killer Danios?

fishfanatic
05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Ok..I Have a 33 gallon tank that has been cycled. The first fish I added were 4 leopard danios, 2 clown loaches and 1 red tailed shark. They have been living happily together for about 2 weeks, Today I introduced 6 neon tetras and the Danios went berserk!!! I noticed they nipped 4 or 5 times at one of the smaller neons, then it just sort of gave up and died. This all happend in the span of 5 minutes.:confused:
Do u think it was just the stress of it all? or do you think its was because the danios actually hurt the little neon? It was so sad to watch :scry:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-02-2009, 08:02 PM
The danios merely stressed the neon. Neons do not handle stress very well at all. That level of stress can kill them.

Just as a secondary bit of info, the clown loaches and the red tailed shark do not belong in a 33gal tank. Both those species get too large and are far too active for that size tank.

Little Embers
05-03-2009, 12:17 AM
The danios merely stressed the neon. Neons do not handle stress very well at all. That level of stress can kill them.

I think it was from the stress as well and even being with fish that have a high activity level as danio's do can stress them. The Danio's may not of meant to be aggressive, just got overly excited by the addition of extra fish. Perhaps if you had a couple more danio's they may not have been as interested in the neon's. IMO the minimum number to have for shoaling fish is 6.

Also with neon's and just to be on the safe side, I prefer to acclimatise them for twice as long as normal because they do seem to be very sensitive to new water conditions.