PDA

View Full Version : just a thought about signatures...

jeffs99dime
02-28-2007, 06:06 PM
i was thinking... what if every member on the forum would inlude the tank/tanks, types of equipment used on the tank, and species of fish kept listed in their signatures. this way everone can see what species, filtration, lighting, etc. everyone else has so that questions brought up in the various threads can be answered faster and in more detail. what do you all think?
personally, i think it's a good idea. i don't get these very often. lolthumbs2:

Lindsay_D
02-28-2007, 06:11 PM
but isn't that what the profile for. all the tank systems would be enlisted in the the profile. If someone has a lot of fish the bigger the signature is going to be and most people flip out about it. Like your VOTE FOR JEFFSADIME99 you know what i mean! lol....good idea but just my thoughts

I STILL LOVERS YOU JEFF!

jeffs99dime
02-28-2007, 06:21 PM
my thought is that it would be convenient to just look at the species, filtration, etc at a glance to be able to answer posts/thread better

Incredulous_Ed
02-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Well, yeah, i agree with you jeff, but they should put everything on the signature in a compacted way. I mean, if you have a super long signiture, it becomes frustrating to read threads.

Lady Hobbs
02-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Sound good to me. I know most don't even fill out their profile and the information would be right there.

KneeKickLou
02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
This might get outa hand for people with a lot of tanks

Chrona
02-28-2007, 08:00 PM
This might get outa hand for people with a lot of tanks

That was my concern. Your 4 tanks already takes up half the page. lol

Severus
02-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Yes, my only concern is the length of the signatures.

crackatinny
02-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Great idea Jeff, but like the majority I also see that threads would become very long, with some people having up to 10 tanks.

Lady Hobbs
02-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Same with me ..... the length of each post. No one wants to see a one sentence answer with 4 feet of signature.

It could be kept short!

Something like:

30 gallon ram tank, planted w/ power filter
55 gallon community tank planted w/ canister
100 gallon assorted cichlids w/ power and canister filters

Let people ask if they want to know more.

It does not need to include the number of snails, rocks, stones, pieces of driftwood and every single fish and how many leaves are on each plant.

:ezpi_wink1: :ezpi_wink1: :ezpi_wink1:

Is mine long enough?

Lindsay_D
03-01-2007, 01:01 PM
it already is frustrating to read the threads....i like hobbs' idea

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 02:44 AM
k, i'l add all my stuff jeff:4:

kimmers318
03-18-2007, 12:36 PM
I have seen many people do that in their signatures, and have seen just as many people complain about the sizes of the posts/threads. It doesn't bother me so much with high speed and a fast computer, but slower connections have more problems with it.
It might be better to encourage people to include information when they post Q's and in their profiles. I will keep my signature personal, you can see my tank information in my profile, and I will be sure to update it right now since I am bad about that!

William
03-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Well. I will leave this decision to you all but wan't to say that I think it is best to atleast limit the max lenght/size of the sigs. Kimmers idea is also a good one.

Voracious pices
03-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I am new, but i think the signature idea is a good one. Newbies do not look at FAQ or want to search things out. As a new member it would be much easier for me to know which type of filtration and aquariums that others prefer just by glancing at the signatures of any post.
Right now I am setting up my first large aquarium and am wondering which canister filter is the quietest and will be the easiest and most economical to maintain. So I am skimming through forums and searching for canister filtration ... and I noticed this thread. Right off the bat I can see that some like the expensive Eheim units, some use a combination, and some I cannot figure out because they abbreviated, but at least I know they use combo filtration.
I don't mind long signatures personally. But I am rather long-winded, so I wouldn't leave a one-line message, normally. You could use the abbreviated method mentioned above with a referral to the profiles. Since I saw no rules to the contrary, it could be one of those personal options I am glad you thought about.
Thanks for having this forum and thanks for the space.
now how do you put a signature on this ....mmmmm
thumbs2:
Voracious Pices
25 g, & 35 g with power filters, under gravel, and aeration
95 g with canister, power filter, and areation
All fresh water,plastic plants, live bearers, tetras,bottom cleaners,plecos, and one oscar.

jeffs99dime
03-27-2007, 04:59 PM
I am new, but i think the signature idea is a good one. Newbies do not look at FAQ or want to search things out. As a new member it would be much easier for me to know which type of filtration and aquariums that others prefer just by glancing at the signatures of any post.
Right now I am setting up my first large aquarium and am wondering which canister filter is the quietest and will be the easiest and most economical to maintain. So I am skimming through forums and searching for canister filtration ... and I noticed this thread. Right off the bat I can see that some like the expensive Eheim units, some use a combination, and some I cannot figure out because they abbreviated, but at least I know they use combo filtration.
I don't mind long signatures personally. But I am rather long-winded, so I wouldn't leave a one-line message, normally. You could use the abbreviated method mentioned above with a referral to the profiles. Since I saw no rules to the contrary, it could be one of those personal options I am glad you thought about.
Thanks for having this forum and thanks for the space.
now how do you put a signature on this ....mmmmm
thumbs2:
Voracious Pices
25 g, & 35 g with power filters, under gravel, and aeration
95 g with canister, power filter, and areation
All fresh water,plastic plants, live bearers, tetras,bottom cleaners,plecos, and one oscar.

well, welcome to a.c!:thumb:

Lady Hobbs
03-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Problem is that what one thinks is reasonable, another finds too long and annoying.

I personally hate to read one little post with 8 inches at the bottom of each with information. To me it's more annoying than if there was a huge picture in our signature.

I even hate my signature but it's necessary to have that link there. LOL

If people would keep it short and sweet it would be great but you always find those that go overboard. (Rather like posting pictures that are 3000 x 3000 instead of inserting one that's a respectable limit.)

If a limit to area for our signature was available I'd go for it tho.

jeffs99dime
03-27-2007, 05:23 PM
it would be nice to see what the parameters and such for everyone's tanks are so that other members trying to help them with questions they may have, would be answered faster and more accurately because all the info would already be there

sergo
03-27-2007, 05:49 PM
i like the profile page myself. long sigs mean more pages to threads. we could always add a mention in the newbie section to checks profiles and maybe put something in the introductions section too.

xoolooxunny
03-27-2007, 07:05 PM
I don't think enough people take advantage of the information you can pack into their profile! I think some of the sigs are too long as well.:cwmboom2: