PDA

View Full Version : Questions about potential discus tank

Mrs. Crabtree
02-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Setting up a 72 bow. I would like to get six or eight discus, two to four small plecos (max out at five to six inches), and possibly a couple cory's. Now some questions:

Will this stock list work? I've read that discus like to eat off the bottom and wonder if this would be too many bottom dwellers?

Bubbles?

Real or fake plants? If real what about lights-need strong lights for plants but discus like low light.

Powerhead(s)?

What about the almond leaves I read about? Are they beneficial?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

jeffs99dime
02-28-2007, 05:28 PM
i personally wouldn't recommend plecos with discus because plecos can attach themselves to the discus because of their "flat" shaped bodies. certain species of plecos can also be very territorial, especially at night. i would go with cories or ottos and the such. discus also need a higher tank as opposed to a longer tank such as yours but, it could work. discus also do not like the high currents currents that powerheads will create. most people that keep discus run canister filters.

Lady Hobbs
02-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Discus are beautiful and expensive. As Jeff mentioned, pleco will suck off the sides of Discus if they aren't finding enough algae to eat in the tank. Bistlenose catfish would be much better as I mentioned in another post to you.

Discus will drop down and pick up from the bottom but really aren't referred to as bottom dwellers as they don't spend all their time on the bottom.

Real plants are preferred by them but they are sticklers for soft water and pH of may 6.5-7. They are very delicate. I don't know about almond leaves and wouldn't use a power head. Discus don't like a strong current.

I am counting 32 fish in your 55 gallon with a combo of cichlids and community fish. You really need to watch the over- stocking and the species you are mixing.

I think I would take that 55 gallon for all your community fish and turn the 75 into a small cichlid tank and forget the discus altogether in your case.

Mrs. Crabtree
02-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Discus are beautiful and expensive. As Jeff mentioned, pleco will suck off the sides of Discus if they aren't finding enough algae to eat in the tank. Bistlenose catfish would be much better as I mentioned in another post to you.

Discus will drop down and pick up from the bottom but really aren't referred to as bottom dwellers as they don't spend all their time on the bottom.

Real plants are preferred by them but they are sticklers for soft water and pH of may 6.5-7. They are very delicate. I don't know about almond leaves and wouldn't use a power head. Discus don't like a strong current.

I am counting 32 fish in your 55 gallon with a combo of cichlids and community fish. You really need to watch the over- stocking and the species you are mixing.

I think I would take that 55 gallon for all your community fish and turn the 75 into a small cichlid tank and forget the discus altogether in your case.

This is an alternative to the cichlids; this would be the tank. There is only one tank. I will be sure to avoid overcrowding. Thanks for keeping tabs on me and helping to make informed choices. All the canister talk yesterday has me seriously considering an exchange of the one I ordered.

Lady Hobbs
02-28-2007, 07:14 PM
OK You were starting to scare me. You can have a lovely planted dwarf cichlid tank. The dwarfs are nice and don't tear up the plants.

Fishguy2727
03-01-2007, 02:03 AM
Discus:

Filtration: I would do Fluval 405 (or two rather) and use the (sold separately) spray bar for Fluval.

Never heard of almend leaves for discus, so apparently not essential.

Cories would be great, but in that tank I would do about a dozen, they need a school (at least 6).

Plecos: depends on the species. I have bristlenose with mine, no issues. I think some of the other fancy plecos would also be fine. As always every fish is different so don't count them out as a suspect should anything pop up.

I would not do live plants. If you are really good at them that is one thing, but think a discus tank is challenging enough without also worrying about plants. Soem plants you coudl add without having to ever think or worry about them, but overall don't worry about them.

72 bowfront is plenty tall enough for discus.

Not asked about, but feeding: New Life Spectrum is pretty much the best food on the market hands down. They have a sinking discus food that mine love. The colors are amazing. Growth is great. They come running over to the tube when I feed them. I feed them in a bowl set on the bottom. I use an undergravel uplift tube to make sure the food sinks right to the bowl (just about the only good use for an undergravel uplift tube).

Mrs. Crabtree
03-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Discus:

Filtration: I would do Fluval 405 (or two rather) and use the (sold separately) spray bar for Fluval.

Never heard of almend leaves for discus, so apparently not essential.

Cories would be great, but in that tank I would do about a dozen, they need a school (at least 6).

Plecos: depends on the species. I have bristlenose with mine, no issues. I think some of the other fancy plecos would also be fine. As always every fish is different so don't count them out as a suspect should anything pop up.

I would not do live plants. If you are really good at them that is one thing, but think a discus tank is challenging enough without also worrying about plants. Soem plants you coudl add without having to ever think or worry about them, but overall don't worry about them.

72 bowfront is plenty tall enough for discus.

Not asked about, but feeding: New Life Spectrum is pretty much the best food on the market hands down. They have a sinking discus food that mine love. The colors are amazing. Growth is great. They come running over to the tube when I feed them. I feed them in a bowl set on the bottom. I use an undergravel uplift tube to make sure the food sinks right to the bowl (just about the only good use for an undergravel uplift tube).

Can the spraybar be hooked to any brand of canister?

So, for plants, artificial or none? I'm going to have driftwood and have considered the holey rock.

Thanks for the food tip.

Fishguy2727
03-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Holey rock will boost hardness and pH. Fake plants are great. I would get large, broad-leafed ones preferably cloth leaves. Do you already have the filter? If so, what brand and model?