PDA

View Full Version : Just A Quick Question About My Betta Tank

tybizzel
05-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey guys.
I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a male King Betta in it. Now I notice that the little black tips of his tall are breaking off, and also a little discoloraion at the tips. So i did some reading and came up with this.

Fin rot is most common in uncycled tanks where bettas are exposed to ammonia or nitrite. It can be caused by elevated nitrate levels in cycled tanks and may be caused by fluctuating temperatures and pH levels as well.

So we have had the tank for about 3 weeks i think and it has a heater. The PH should be fine as i havent ever had a problem with it in any of my tanks.(just to lazy to test) I how ever tested every thing else and the ammonina was between .50 and .75, nitrites were 0 and nitrate hardly showed. I changed about 20-30% of the water and checked the ammoonia again and it was like the same. I had another betta fish that died becuase i cleaned the tank to much and didnt give it time to set up.
So can i do like a 50% water change or ?
Also he is probably over feed, spacialy when the girl friend feeds him. Hes got a cute little fat belly:hmm3grin2orange: .
Can i just let him chill for 2 days and not feed him mabey?
THX.

Kaz
05-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Firstly, Make sure he is no longer being overfed, you will extend the betta's life greatly.

Is the tank cycled?

If it is fin rot, please give him medication, please.

I see many problems here, but these are the most important.

bushwhacker
05-01-2009, 11:34 PM
you really need to do a water change now ease up on the food and get a test kit to make sure your waters good... the tanks only been up 3 weeks its not cycled... and get a small filter in there

jaysee
05-02-2009, 05:19 AM
You don't have to feed your fish as much as you think. If I were you I would feed very lightly once a day to allow your tank to stabilize. Yes you could not feed your betta for a couple days - it won't die.

For a filter, I recomend Azoo - less than $10, very quiet and has an adjustable flow. I also have a 7.5W heater in mine (for colder months).

invadertoast
05-02-2009, 05:29 AM
You need a filter in order for the tank to cycle. You could get an air powered sponge filter, a small submersible one, or even a small HOB filter. I use submersibles in all my betta tanks and my levels are always good. I also have live plants which the fish seem to enjoy and I'm sure they must help the water quality some.

If you're not sure if you have a heater, find out and if you don't, get one. Your betta will be much happier with a stable temp. I picked up three small Tetra heaters at Wal-Mart that are set at 78 from the factory, they switch on and off depending on room temp. So far they have been great!

Get these two things, along with regular water changes, and you betta will reward you with more personality than you ever imagined a fish can have

Good luck! I'm intrigued by King bettas...

Sharon
05-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I'd do a 100% water change immediately. If you are not filtering the tank, you might want to consider a complete water change every two days. Finrot will usually respond to clean water, but stubborn cases need meds.

Mvjnz
05-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Also, king bettas, or giant bettas as they are also called, need much bigger tanks, at least 10 gallons.

thrakuarium
05-02-2009, 04:23 PM
If ... and this is if you don't have a filter, then your water changes need to be 100%, because with out filtration the tank wont cycle it will just continue to get worse for your betta. If you don't have a filter you need to clean your decorations as well, rocks too. Warm water, NO soap or other cleaners. Let everything completely air dry before putting it back in your tank. Definately get some medicine for your betta. Betta Fix comes to mind as a possible solution.

If you do have a filter and you medicate your betta, be sure to remove the carbon from the filter or it will adsorb the meds.

Also if you don't have a filter, please consider getting one. Even though bettas can survive without one it doesn't mean it's optimal for them.

Marty
05-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Lots of good advice here, we had something similiar with our Betta.
We had him in a 1 gallon originally and we did a 100% water change every week, he was always lively etc.

When ours started with what you had, we just medicated him on betafix, something like 5ml a day, for 7 days. do a 20% water change every day when adding this without a filter. Then after about 7 days if its cleared, then another 100% water change.
Try and get your betta to flare up for about 10 minutes each day, helps get the medicine in through all the fins. (add a mirror)
Getting a filter and heater is recommended though.

We also found our betta would bite at his own fin and tails, but once we put in a small plant and decoration (pirate ship) he never did it again.

I would let him starve for a couple days, or add 1 de-shelled uncooked garden pea every day to help relieve any bloating (acts like a laxative, and the bloating can come from flake food - when he grabs air, or over eating)
We fed him sinking pellets.. about 5 a day, once a day. They dont need more than that.

tybizzel
05-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the reply guys.
I took your advice and picked up a 5.5 gallon tank. This was the biggest tank that will sit on the custom corner shelf i built for him. I also picked up a 10 gallon filter, i couldnt find any $10 ones. I allready have that heater thats set at 78 from wallmart, it was in the other tank.
Also the same live plants were transfered from the other tank.
I also got some bettafix just to make sure hes ok.
thx.

Mvjnz
05-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Good to hear you got him a bigger tank:)

Try to point the filter at one of the walls or put plants in front of it, as bettas really don't like strong currents...

If ... and this is if you don't have a filter, then your water changes need to be 100%, because with out filtration the tank wont cycle it will just continue to get worse for your betta. If you don't have a filter you need to clean your decorations as well, rocks too. Warm water, NO soap or other cleaners. Let everything completely air dry before putting it back in your tank.

I have one of my bettas in a 15 litre tank without a filter, but with several fast growing plants, and only do partial water changes twice a week. I've tested his water several times, and have never found any traces of ammonia or nitrite. The fast growing plants use ammonia as nutrient, because there is no nitrate in the tank.

tybizzel
05-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Yea, I think this tank is good for him. I forgot to mention that hes not a king or what ever just a regular crown tail.

Lol. I put a big ugly sponge on the filter. i guest it works ok, i just fills up and spills over the sides. I was to busy looking for the cheapest filter that i grab an in tank filter :). I paid $23 for this, i know there was one that sits on the back for the same price.

I have one of my bettas in a 15 litre tank without a filter, but with several fast growing plants, and only do partial water changes twice a week. I've tested his water several times, and have never found any traces of ammonia or nitrite. The fast growing plants use ammonia as nutrient, because there is no nitrate in the tank.
Thats what i was going for, but i guess i should have put some healthy pants and not the almost dieing ones i thought would grow quick. In my ten gallon with DIY C02 a differant kind grows like a centemeter a night.