PDA

View Full Version : Male Praecox develop white stripe from mouth to dorsal fin

farrenator
05-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I am new to Rainbows. I introduced 2 male and 3 female Praecox to my 55 gallon, planted tank approx 10 days ago. I feed with a mixture I made of fish + beef heart + peas + spinach.

I just noticed this morning that both males have developed a white stripe that extends from the tip of the mouth up through the dorsal fin and down to the caudal fin - along the back. On one it is very pronounced, on the other not so much. It may be just me, but it seems like they are herding the females as well. The male with the more pronounced stripe is larger (1.5") and seems to be more actively staking out a position in the corner of the tank under some floating plants. He is more actively courting females as well.

Is this part of the normal breeding behavior - the white stripe? I am just curious. Otherwise the fish are very healthy and vigorous. The females have not developed the stripe.

Sorry, can't take pics since I have no digital camera. Just picture it as f someone had taken a paint brush and painted the back of the fish with white.

Algenco
05-01-2009, 03:22 PM
he's happy! They do that when they want to spawn, mine show for 2-3 hours every morning

farrenator
05-01-2009, 09:42 PM
That is good news. I really like the looks of these guys. I put 5 in a tank with 10 tiger barbs and 5 gold barbs. I wasn't sure if everyone would get along but none of the barbs pay them any attention.

I may get rid of the gold barbs and look into getting some other types of rainbows. I have to see what is at the LFS. Maybe Boesmanis or something else.

he's happy! They do that when they want to spawn, mine show for 2-3 hours every morning

jaysee
05-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Do your rainbows try to school with the barbs?

farrenator
05-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Every once in a while. I have zero problems in the tank. Everyone is getting along fine. I think the trick is having enough of each kind so they keep each other busy. Interesting note: I have 5 large(r) green barbs and 5 smaller regular tiger barbs and the smaller ones are definitely the more aggressive ones.

Do your rainbows try to school with the barbs?

jaysee
05-08-2009, 04:22 PM

When you say "morning", how early are we talking?

3-4 hours after sunrise

mac
05-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Yup they are happy. Mine do the same every day.

mac

jaysee
05-09-2009, 05:07 AM
When you say "morning", how early are we talking?

3-4 hours after sunrise

Well, I'm either leaving the house to fish at or before sunrise, or sleeping till noon. Aside from that, since the room is completely dark, is sunrise when I turn the light on?