PDA

View Full Version : Agressive Salmon red Rainbow

kennedpa
05-01-2009, 07:31 AM
G'day Folks,

I am new here, but have been in to Aquariums for a couple of decades now :-O.

I have just started collecting Aus/New Guinee rainbows(just for something differant). The issue I have is one of the Red Salmons are agressive, chases the other Red as well as the Boesmans. When he gets bored with them, he'll start chasing the tetras. I spoke to the aquaruim shop where I got them from and he has never heard of Rainbows behaving like this. No other NET sites about rainbows indicate any agressive behaviour to be know :fish2:

terrapin24h
05-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Generally(very generally) speaking, when a schooling fish becomes aggressive to others it's because they feel insecure or threatened, or because they don't have enough of their own kind to pick on. I have the "spledida" variety and read a few places that if i didnt have enough of them they could be aggressive. How many of the reds do you have?

--chris

kennedpa
05-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Generally(very generally) speaking, when a schooling fish becomes aggressive to others it's because they feel insecure or threatened, or because they don't have enough of their own kind to pick on. I have the "spledida" variety and read a few places that if i didnt have enough of them they could be aggressive. How many of the reds do you have?

--chris
Hi Chris... I did read in AC that they like to be in schools of 5, but didnt say if they had to be the same type. I bought two other Reds yesterday (a male and a female)...when I put them in the tank things were ok for about the 40 mins...then the sorting out started and they seemed a little better.. They are all feeding fine...understatement...ravaging fine. So as far as Rainbows gow I have 3 male reds and one female and two male Boesemans

kennedpa
05-02-2009, 02:54 AM
Well at least now the Reds (males) are focusing to themselves playing tag. The female simply swims around with the Boesemans:ssuprised: