PDA

View Full Version : Its a sad day,a long time coming.

smaug
04-29-2009, 01:28 AM
After almost 6 months of watching our beautiful Husky ,Tanner slowly become more and more crippled from hip pain we have made the decision to have him put down early next week.It is my wifes dog and she loves him very much as does my daughter and I.This is the first pet we as a family have had to put down.This is the first time I have allowed a vet to do this for me.i have euthanized a few pets of my own in the past but I can no longer stomach the thought of it,I can not take the memory of another friend lost by my hand.It is slowly setting in on me and I find it hard to keep the tears back,he is such a pretty,loving dog and so full of character.He was a talker when he was healthy,those of you who have had huskies know what I mean.He was thought to be about 10 yrs old by the vet but my experience tells me he is more like 12.We rescued him from the spca 5 years ago.Unbelievably he was there for many months and we couldn't understand how no one else took him in,my wife believes it was meant to be for us to have him,,,,,,,maybe she was right,I'm glad to have known him,its going to be such a hard week.It will be even worse for my daughter as she will be away this weekend visiting with people she would rather not be with in the first place.I forgot about that when I decided to tell her tonight,it made it so much worse for her.I wanted her memory of the night we told her to be of a nice spring eve with all the dogs and us in the yard having a nice night.I feel sick,I cant imagine how much pain she is in.This is her first dog that she was involved in getting.I remember how happy she was when we brought him
home.I remember how distraught she was when he ran away for the first time [He is a runner].I wish they could live forever,I just feel sick,so sick.

Gayle
04-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Awe Smaug I am so sorry. That is just terrible. You brought tears to my eyes. I feel really bad for your daughter, wish I had something wise and helpful to say. My girls still cry over the fish and pet rat that we have lost, it is really hard on the little ones. You are doing the right thing and I commend you for realizing that. I am glad that you and your family gave him such a great life, and in return that you guys were able to enjoy his company. Give you girl hugs for me, and I send you and your family love.

Northernguy
04-29-2009, 01:55 AM
I am really Sorry to hear about your wifes baby! Thats a hard thing to do!
I am sure you gave the dog the best life you could have.Its a shame they don't stay around longer!

Little Embers
04-29-2009, 09:01 AM
I am so very sorry you and the family are going through this. I know how hard it is to make that decision and one you can never really prepare yourself for, but it is the right one for Tanner's sake. He is a beautiful dog! Thank You so much for sharing the pictures of him with us Smaug.

fins_n_fur
04-29-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm very sorry for you and your family, Smaug. This is never an easy decision to make and probably the hardest thing to do. May you be comforted that are freeing Tanner from the pain, and may you cherish the fun and happy times with that you had with him forever in your heart and in your mind.

Sharon
04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm so sorry Smaug. We've had two dogs, and I remember the pain of losing them both, at 13 and 14. It helps to think of it as a release from the pain, and it's an important thing that you can do for him now. It hurts to lose a loved pet....

fishlover49
04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
That is so sad. I feel so bad for you and your family. Such a beautiful pup he is. I know how you feel. We had to put our dog, that we had for 14 years, down three years ago and the one we had for 16 years before that one.

I am so sorry about Tanner. :scry: :scry:

chester82006
04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm sorry you have to go through this again. I have yet to experience that kind of pain, but I'm absolutely dreading it. I do wish you and your family the best in coping with your loss.

Oscar_freak12321
04-29-2009, 11:48 PM
God be with him. I'm so sorry you have to go through this smaug. I really do feel bad for you. I lost a dog because he was killed and I was distraught. I know how this feels. Try to focus on the happy memories and you can get through this. I promise you that.

LadyHatred
04-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Oh Smaug, very sorry to hear of such sad news! Nothing I can type that will take away your anguish. Please know that you and yours will be in my prayers.

smaug
04-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and good wishes.We are all doing fine today and we set an appt for tanner next wed.Im sure it will get sadder as time gets shorter,it does seem like an odd thing to have a countdown for.What bothers me most about this is the time it gives for second guessing.

Northernguy
04-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Its what is best for the animal smaug! Not the human!
I'm so sorry!

Halo819
04-30-2009, 03:27 AM
Tanner is a beautiful dog. He looks like a good old friend. This is going to be such a sad loss. My heart goes out to you and your family Smaug. Maybe you should consider letting your daughter stay home with him this weekend. I know that I would want to spend every minute that I could with him.

Poofaye C.
04-30-2009, 08:04 AM
So sorry Smaug. I haven't cried in awhile, must admit looking at those beautiful pics helped me slip out a tear. I like to think your wife was spot on about him being meant for ya'll. Five years of having a family sure sounds good to me. If dogs can reflect back on some things, I'm sure that's what his final most fondest memories will be.

Red
04-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Im glad you have some more time with Tanner, and I am sorry you have to put him down.

bluemerle030
04-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm really sorry to hear of your painful decision Smaug. I to had to make that decision 10 years ago with my Indigo, she was my best friend and went everywhere with me, she was always by my side as I was at her side when it came her time to this day I still cry for her. I to still have second guesses, I still doubt in my decision. But I think that comes from...either selfishness or want, the want to have her still here and the selfishness to maybe I could have done more for her to make her comfortable. Nothing I could have done would have made her comfortable, what I did was make her comfortable and being by her side was the most painful thing for me but I know it was the most comforting for her.

I find comfort in this and I hope you and your wife and family do to.

TREAT ME KINDLY

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend,
For no heart in all the world is more
rateful for kindness than the loving
heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick,
For though I should lick your hand
between blows, your patience and
understanding will more quickly
teach me the things you would
have me learn.

Speak to me often, For your voice is
the world's sweetest music, as you must
know by the fierce wagging of my tail
when your footsteps fall upon my ears.

Please take me inside when it is cold
and wet, For I am a domesticated
animal, no longer accustomed to the
bitter elements. I ask no greater glory
than the privilege of sitting at your
feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with water, for I
cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.
Feed me clean food that I may stay well,
to romp and play and do your bidding,
to walk by your side, and stand ready,
willing and able to protect you with
my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and
I no longer enjoy good health, hearing
and good sight, do not make heroic
efforts to keep me going.

I am not having fun. Please see that my
trusting life is taken gently. I shall
leave this earth knowing with the last
breath I drew, that my fate was always
safest in your hand.

--- By Beth Norman Harris 1968 ---

Lady Hobbs
04-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm so sorry about your beautiful dog, Smaug. Altho sick is the only word that comes to mind for you right now, compassion is the word I will use because you are making a huge personal sacrifice for the love of this dog.
Your love for this dog will help you to do what's right for him.

I've been right where you are when my 14 year old German Shepard got arthritis in her hips so bad I had to help her up. It was no life for her at all to live in pain and you have to do what you have to do for your dog.

I'm very sorry.

Jellygirl
04-30-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. At least he doesn't know what is to come and does't worry about ones he leaves behind. I know this doesn't make it any easier for you, but just enjoy the last few days you have with him. I'm sure you are spending some of the time remebering all the silly or sweet things he has done as part of your family.

Thinking of you all.
Michelle

Poofaye C.
05-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey smaug, not trying to create any further grief, but I came up with a little poem for you. Not a poem that hasn't been done before, just tried to make it my own. Tell me if you like. You can check it out here. (http://sportsbypoofaye.blogspot.com/) I was writing it while my Doberman was curled up next to me.

smaug
05-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Today after much thought we decided to confer with our vet to see if upping the dosage of Tanners meds would help alleviate most of his pain.The doc thought it would so we have decided to go that route for a time.Being that warm weather is just around the corner we feel that may help some as well with his joints.Maybe he can have 1 more summer.Thank you all so muc for your warm words,I will keep you posted.

Oscar_freak12321
05-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Please do! I hope that he lives a good long summer!

fishlover49
05-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Just wondering how Tanner is doing?

smaug
05-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Im sorry I havnt updated this thread,Im trying to not think about it much.We did give the xtra meds and he is still with us.We are hoping for at least another month or so.He loves being outside when the breeze is cool and the sun is warm [dont we all].Prayers work,we get to keep him a bit longer.Thank you all so much for your thoughts and well wishes.

Oscar_freak12321
05-13-2009, 02:30 AM
God be with you smaug, and may you enjoy your dog for the window of time he has left!

smaug
07-23-2009, 10:42 PM
I dug his grave just a few minutes ago.He has deteriorated past the help of pain killers.The decision came easier this time as we all were able to come to grips with it.My daughter is away for the weekend so we will tell her I found him dead when I went to work sat morning.We talked many times how it would be so much better if he could just go to sleep and stay that way.In her mind this is how it will be.I take him to the vet tomorrow eve.I appreciated all of your well wishes earlier in this thread.I am asking a mod to close this thread so it can be final.Thank you all for your kind words.
This pic was taken yesterday by my daughter.

Walmart Wannabe
07-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm really sorry my parents put our dog down when i was eight i am sorry for your loss

Red
07-23-2009, 10:48 PM
sorry for your loss smaug..

Amazon
07-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Im really sorry about that, but im sure he had a great life with you

rich311k
07-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had a good life with you.

Algenco
07-24-2009, 02:09 AM
Smaug has requested this thread be closed, sorry for your loss , it was for the best