PDA

View Full Version : good or bad snake?

chester82006
04-28-2009, 11:14 PM
My mom was gardening today and came across this baby snake. My dad almost killed it with a shovel before I stopped him. I'm such and animal lover. :11: I wanted to see if you guys might know why type of snake this is. :22: Thanks! :ssmile:

Kaz
04-28-2009, 11:35 PM
It's an awesome snake! lol!

Gayle
04-29-2009, 12:03 AM
It's an awesome snake! lol!

It is a pretty cool snake huh!

Where do you live? Could it be this? (grass snake)
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/thumbs/grass_snake.jpg (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=12190)

chester82006
04-29-2009, 02:50 AM
in NC.

that does look like what it might be as an adult. a definite possibility. is it harmful?

Gayle
04-29-2009, 03:11 AM
Oh Ok! No that is not it then.

It is a Brown Snake then. Here is the info:

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herps_of_nc/snakes/Stodek/Sto_dek.html

chester82006
04-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Cool! Thank you so much, that's interesting. I couldn't find that anywhere. :22: I'm glad my dad didn't kill it. :11:

Gayle
04-29-2009, 04:20 AM
Anytime! Glad I could help!

toddnbecka
04-29-2009, 04:51 AM
There are only a few poisonous snakes in North America. If it isn't a rattler, copperhead, or cottonmouth it's harmless. I don't think coral snakes are found in NC, and cottonmouths are basically a watersnake (not to mention being nasty, aggressive critters that will actually come after you.)

Tamara
04-29-2009, 05:29 AM
i'm glad you saved it - you did a good thing. =)

Poofaye C.
04-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Good looking reptile. Would've scared me silly though!

Allecto
04-29-2009, 08:11 AM
i'm glad you saved it - you did a good thing. =)

thumbs2:
I agree.
I also think Gayle nailed it with the Dekays/brown snake ID.

Kaz
04-29-2009, 11:25 AM
I've seen a punch of snakes and all in all, that one looks fairly harmless. Most snakes are, but I've seen loads of snakes at least an inch in diameter and several feet long. Those guys are harmlass too, but you're more likely to be freaked out by them.

But the snake I always hope to one day see is the hognose snake. Those guys are super funny. They live in the areas I always go camping too!

robflanker
04-29-2009, 01:30 PM
I once stumbled past a copperhead in Atlanta. I was visiting a friend and went out to the rental car to get something and it was hanging out on the drive way.
I didn't get super close to it but it gave me a hell of a shock. I was amazed at the size of its head. Prob was 18-22 inches.

I'm not normally intimidated by snakes, i'm rather fascinated by them but it was more of the 'i didn't expect you to be there' syndrome.

robflanker
04-29-2009, 01:34 PM
North Carolina has the dubious distinction of the most venomous snake bites of any state in the U.S.

Reading this thread made me decide to google copperheads to see how dangerous they were and look at the quote I found.

Least there is one good reason to live in CT... haha

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/copperhead.htm

Gayle
04-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah I really like snakes and lizards alot. But when I stumble onto them in the woods or anywhere I get freaked out too. Not knowing that they are there and then boom there is a snake at your feet is spooky, esp because it usually takes a few minutes to figure out what they are!

chester82006
04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
I did used to own a baby ball python, they're sweet hearts. I have a thing for snakes:) and you guys are great! I thought America had more poisonous snakes than just a few, so that makes me feel better. The cottonmouth is a monster. My dad already killed two since my brother likes to watch him fish, the snakes hang around the huge pond in my back yard. They tried to attack him quite a few times.

The copperheads are also something to be weary about, little kids here are often their victims while playing aimlessly in the woods.

I do hope I'm able to have a snake again in the near future though.:18:

robflanker
04-29-2009, 08:22 PM
That link I had early had an interesting article about why copperheads strike so often.
In summary, apparently its their first defensive move is a quick strike without much venom to show it means business. Whereas other snakes hold there ground and don't strike as readily. Intersting stuff.

chester82006
04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
That is very interesting. I suppose that's a fair warning. :14:

Gayle
04-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Yeah that is interesting, from what I understand most of the venomus snakes will give a dry bite as a response to fear, some wont even bite they just hit you kinda of to say hey I am here, do not mess with me.

I used to have snakes too many years ago, I had a columbian red tail boa, a sinoloian milk snake, and a gray banded kingsnake. They are really cool I think if you know what you are doing.

Now there are morons who try to keep dangerous ones that really just should never be allowed to have pets at all like this fool

http://www.greenriversun.com/grs/index.php?view=article&catid=58:green-river-sun-news&id=102:grand-jury-indicts-taylor-county-man-and-wife-over-dangerous-wildlife&tmpl=component&print=1&page=

I mean if they made me lose my fingers LOL I think I would just go ahead and tell myself no more!!

chester82006
04-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Those sound like really cool snakes you kept! What beautiful colors.

And what stupidity. They had that along with 2 alligators, why don't you take my limbs off too.

Gayle
04-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I know right! LOL Some people just kill me!

Kaz
04-29-2009, 09:26 PM
I have to say, I love how snakes move.

One second your watching its head, the next your watching the tail, it's hard to keep track of them for this reason.

chester82006
04-29-2009, 11:19 PM
yeah! Their camouflage makes it even harder.

now I wish I picked that guy up, he was too cute :P