PDA

View Full Version : hanging light

annie p
04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm getting the kit to hang my light over the 54 corner. I see alot of tanks with no lid. What's the advantages? I don't have jumpers (anymore, they found the opening in the back)

travie
04-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Advantages:
Temperature should stay more constant
Water has the opportunity to be oxygenated more
Easier access by you during maintenance

Disadvantages:
More evaporation - have to keep up on topping off
Jumpers, which can be any fish but some are more prone to jump then others
Ease of something falling in the tank that shouldn't be in the tank

annie p
04-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks I think I'll give it a try. Our kids are grown and we have no furry pets.

AABatteries
04-28-2009, 07:33 PM
I run my 20g with an open top. Have yet to have a problem with it?

oldhead
04-28-2009, 07:57 PM
My 65 runs open and I wouldn't have it any other way.

tim k
04-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Open top allows for better gas exchange at the surface of the water and also is a big plus on lighting . Dirty glas or just glass in general can filter out certain rays that coral need to thrive.

Only negatives I can see is carpet surfing fish and more water evaporating.
Get an ATO for your sump and your all set.

Tim K

unleashed
04-28-2009, 10:18 PM
all of my tanks have been open top. I have never had a problem with jumpers. I even have a very expensive mystery wrasse which have a terrible jumping track record in there. I've had him for about 1.5 years in two different open top tanks and never had a problem.

I also find it is much easy to regulate the temperature. You see, it is easier to heat a tank up than it is to cool it down. Nowadays, even in summer, my tank sits at approx 24-25 degrees

coachfraley
04-29-2009, 03:34 AM
I'm running my tank topless as well, and I also have a notorious jumper (fairy wrasse). I think the positives of an open top (cooler temps, O2 exchange, better light penetration) make it worth any risks.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-29-2009, 04:11 AM
Just a quick note on the light reduction. Unlike painted on backgrounds, the PAR reduction from a glass top is minimal. There is evidence that as hobbyists, we are in fact, over lighting our corals. The small reduction in light really isn't bad if you have very high intensity lights like Metal Halides. Lower powered lights are a different story.

The benefits of the open top IMO far outweigh the negatives, unless you have jumpers like has been mentioned. I have to agree with the observations of the others, I've found them all to be the case as well.

labnjab
04-29-2009, 11:12 AM
I run our tank with an egg crate top which offers the same advantages of an open top without the risk of fish jumping out. I use to run open top. until we lost a $20 clarkii clown.

oldhead
04-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Just a quick note on the light reduction. Unlike painted on backgrounds, the PAR reduction from a glass top is minimal. There is evidence that as hobbyists, we are in fact, over lighting our corals. The small reduction in light really isn't bad if you have very high intensity lights like Metal Halides. Lower powered lights are a different story.

The benefits of the open top IMO far outweigh the negatives, unless you have jumpers like has been mentioned. I have to agree with the observations of the others, I've found them all to be the case as well.

How do you mean over-lighting them? Is there any information that you can post in regards to this? Just curious as this is the first time that I've heard that mentioned.

annie p
04-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Also can you elaborate on "unlike painted on backgrounds" please......

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-30-2009, 01:46 AM
annie, painted on backgrounds reduce the PAR in the back half of a tank buy 30%.

oldhead, I don't have any specific links to it, the information was actually handed to me from Kieron Dodds, writer for TFH. I can get the info though. I'll ask him about it and post it.