PDA

View Full Version : Brown Algae

blacksnow
04-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Have had green & brown algae on glass before.

I don't mind cleaning the algae from the glass, but it starting to take over my plants =O

Any suggestions?

Tank has been going for at least 4 months. Everything appears normal. Do my weekly water changes...

what to do?

PostalPenguin
04-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Oto catfish love brown algae. If you have room for them you can put a few in. Otherwise, brown algae will go away on its own as the tank matures.

blacksnow
04-28-2009, 12:24 AM
The brown algae will not hurt my plants?

And overtime it will disappear from the plants and glass?

PostalPenguin
04-28-2009, 12:42 AM
It can hurt your plants but not directly. If it grows enough it will block out the light for the leaves and the plant could die.

And brown algae is a type of creature called a diatom that occurs when there is excess silica in the water. This happens in most new tanks. I had it pretty bad in my 10 gallon but after about 2 months its only the leaves of the anacharis where the otos dont like to feed. If your plants show signs of withering away, and depending on the plant you can try a 1:20 bleach solution. I recently did that for my sword in my 5 gallon that was overrun with brown algae, hair algae, cyanobacteria and everything else. Its now bright green and free of algae.

blacksnow
04-28-2009, 01:09 AM
It can hurt your plants but not directly. If it grows enough it will block out the light for the leaves and the plant could die.

And brown algae is a type of creature called a diatom that occurs when there is excess silica in the water. This happens in most new tanks. I had it pretty bad in my 10 gallon but after about 2 months its only the leaves of the anacharis where the otos dont like to feed. If your plants show signs of withering away, and depending on the plant you can try a 1:20 bleach solution. I recently did that for my sword in my 5 gallon that was overrun with brown algae, hair algae, cyanobacteria and everything else. Its now bright green and free of algae.

What are you thoughts on adding a phosphate & nitrate removal media to my catridges in my emperor 400?

PostalPenguin
04-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Probably cant hurt. I've never used them. How heavily planted is your tank? And what are the nitrate levels?

blacksnow
04-28-2009, 01:40 AM
Probably cant hurt. I've never used them. How heavily planted is your tank? And what are the nitrate levels?

I have several plants =O

I'd have to do another water test to give an exact number, but nitrate levels have always been within reason.

PostalPenguin
04-28-2009, 01:45 AM
If the levels are within reason I dont think you need to add nitrate remover. High phosphate levels can usually be remedied by reducing feedings. I haven't used any nutrient removing media so I cant comment on their effectiveness. I tend to just add more plants if I see a nutrient imbalance.