PDA

View Full Version : when to be concerned with algae?

bobblue
04-27-2009, 06:06 PM
My 20 gallon tropical fresh water tank has been full cycled and stable for about 2 months now. Recently, when I went to clean out the casing of one of my power filters, I noticed the smell of algae and also noticed a small amount of growth inside the casing. I cleaned this out promptly. I also noticed recently some hair algae growing on some areas on my tora val. I clean my filter media once every 2 weeks as well as a 25% water change and gravel vacuuming once per week (not all at the same time of course). I have 15 fish in the tank with an average size of a plattie. One of the fish is a algae eater (placo). I also have 4 living plants. My ammonia and nitrite levels have been stable at 0 and nitrate hovers around 20ppm. My tank water is crystal clear. I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this smell and the small amount of growth. Will just start getting out of hand or is it somthing that everyone gets a bit of. If it is a potential issue, I would like to address it asap before it becomes a big problem. If this is the case, what are my options?

thanks

PostalPenguin
04-27-2009, 06:27 PM
A small amount of algae is ok, even good as a source of green food for the fish. However, if your tank is out of balance the algae will start to run rampant. Even then prolific algae isn't "bad" just unsightly. Cyanobacteria and green water would be the exception to that however.

If your tank is balanced the algae will keep to itself. I have it growing in my filters simply because my fish cant nibble on it but the rest of the tank is mostly clear of it. So just keep an eye on it and if it starts to spread consider upping the water changes or other corrective actions to reduce the nutrient load in the tank.

Wild Turkey
04-27-2009, 06:34 PM
If its brown it will go away on its own, all part of a new tank.

Green, i agree, unslightly however beneficial, if anything. An algae covered tank is a planted tank for all intensive purposes. IMO, just as beautiful as well.

Green water is a little different, crush that with frequent partials and watch overfeeding, and cyano bacteria is just that, a bacteria.