PDA

View Full Version : New Layer of gravel added

fena74
02-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi I just added 1 inch of new layer to my gravel in the aquarium.I think that it was a mistake now because my fishes do not want to eat and i am sure that they are unhappy now.Is it a problem that i made?
I used 5 different foods and the result is the same.Actually what test i have to buy and to see what i have done?It is aquarium 15 months from the start.Any advice?

xoolooxunny
02-27-2007, 10:17 PM
um, i think so. What you did is known as "capping". You're supposed to mix in the gravel with the old stuff in sections over the course of a couple of days, at least thats the way ive read about. the fish might be stressed bc you might have an ammonia spike, because the bacteria layers are now deeper down. check your ammonia

Chrona
02-27-2007, 10:17 PM
So the old gravel is existing? What kind of gravel is it? Is the water cloudy? It might also be the gravel you got has carbonates in it, and so it raising the pH and stressing your fish. What kind of fish do you have and what is your pH? Take some of the new gravel out and pour some vinegar (muriatic acid is preferred actually, because vinegar is sometimes too weak to elicit a reaction). If it fizzes, then toss it, unless you have cichlids.

fena74
02-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Well.thank you both of you.Tommorow I wil buy amonia test to check my aquarium.I have onli chiracines fishes there.Also I will remove some of the gravel i put/3mm sand/.I have may be too many live plants in this 15 galon aquarium.
Thank you friends.

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
I did it before but took out a lot of the old stuff and added it to the top of the new. Didn't hurt much that way.