PDA

View Full Version : I know this sounds crazy...

rageybug
04-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Here's the deal. Clown fish are a type of damsel. Clownfish host in anemones. Does that mean that a damsel could host..?

I just added a long tentacle anemone to my tank and my blue damsel is attempting to host in it. I know, impossible.... right...?

At first it just showed a lot of interest in the new anemone. It is a few days later and it is actually swimming into it's tentacles.... all the time.

If I was hearing this from someone else I'd say they were nuts but I am seeing it in my own tank. I wish I had a video camera to show people but I don't.

Has anyone else heard of a blue damsel (Chrysiptera cyanea) hosting in a long tentacle anemone?

unleashed
04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
yes

Many damsels (not referring to clowns) do host in anemones. However, it is not common in the wild as most anemones have a clown host which drives other fish away

Tigerbarb
04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Interesting. Lol, yeah, that definitly sounds crazy, but it does make a lot of sense.

unleashed
04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Also, many species of cardinal fish such as bangaii's all naturally host in anemones

rageybug
04-27-2009, 03:03 AM
How am I going to keep the blue damsel out of the anemone...? We got the anemone with plans to add a Clarkii or Pink Skunk Clown to the tank in hopes it will host.

The blue damsel we have is a bit of a bad ass...

saix88
05-18-2009, 01:18 AM
The blue damsel we have is a bit of a bad ass...

That's how all damsels are...don't know why anyone would ever buy these fish lol.