PDA

View Full Version : The Best Tank Ever!

cer
04-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Ok so when I get my basement done I am getting a bigger tank. My dad really wants to get a gar. I looked for the smallest type. A needle nosed gar right? Ok would it be at home in say an 125-150 gallon tank? And I looked at one of the threads about gars. It says you could have them with arowanas and bichirs. So I was wondering if I could 1 of each. So I am looking for a bichir around 1 foot. The smallest arowana is a jardini. And maybe an eel. So the total would be:
1 1 Foot Bichir
1 Jardini Arowana
1 Needle Nosed Gar
1 Eel

Red
04-25-2009, 07:23 PM
no,
First of all, a needle nose gar is not a gar. Its a different type of fish. Second, if you wanted a real gar, get a pond. Second, jardinis need somewhere around a 220+ tank AND get very mean and will kill everything. You could go with a needlenose (which I don't recommended because they are real boring and skittish) and some bichirs, which in fact you would need a 150.

Demjor19
04-25-2009, 07:39 PM
no,
First of all, a needle nose gar is not a gar. Its a different type of fish. Second, if you wanted a real gar, get a pond. Second, jardinis need somewhere around a 220+ tank AND get very mean and will kill everything. You could go with a needlenose (which I don't recommended because they are real boring and skittish) and some bichirs, which in fact you would need a 150.

This is correct for the most part.

Fishguy2727
04-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Needlenose gar are actually brackish and effectively never convert from live foods.

A jardini would need a bigger tank and probably wouldn't allow anything else.

Some of the Polypterus spp. (Bichirs) would be great, but not all. Make sure you verify max sizes with something like fishbase.org because a lot of the info on them that is out there is wrong.

The true freshwater spiney eels are also a great option. I had a tiretrack eel in a similar setup that did extremely well (grew from 6" to 20" in about nine months).

Some other options that would work in this type of setup are things like silver dollars, many cichlids (but definitely not all), certain other bottom feeders like Synodontis spp. catfish, and many others.

Northernguy
04-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Here is a tank perfect for your fish of choice and if its in the basement support would not be an issue!http://www.dudeiknow.com/aquarium/

bushwhacker
07-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Here is a tank perfect for your fish of choice and if its in the basement support would not be an issue!http://www.dudeiknow.com/aquarium/

wow a great read, too bad he never posted pics of his tank all set up

Northernguy
07-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Its an ideal basement tank.thumbs2: