PDA

View Full Version : Gonna have to treat for ICK

Mith
04-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Welp, I've been dreading this, but I figured eventually I'd get ICK.

I only see it on one fish, but my tank's NOT condusive to catching fish without tearing down the whole tank. So I'm just going to treat the whole tank. Might as well since there's more than likely more ICK in the substrate etc.

I'm going to use Quick Cure by API (think that's it). I'm going to raise the tank's temp to 85º\ and do it for approx. 10 days.

Anyone see a flaw in the treatment other than me doing the whole tank?

mommy1
04-25-2009, 01:31 AM
thats what i did, cept i also changed half the water every other day. if you have carbon in the filter remove it. it worked for me in two days but i kept treating for another week. good luck!

Mith
04-25-2009, 02:10 AM
thats what i did, cept i also changed half the water every other day. if you have carbon in the filter remove it. it worked for me in two days but i kept treating for another week. good luck!

OK cool. I did a bit of reading and "quick cure" seems to be what to use. I have to pick some up first though LOL. I probably wont be adding anymore fish anytime soon, so hopefully this treatment gets it out of the tank!

mommy1
04-25-2009, 02:19 AM
it worked for me really quick mith. just remember to keep dosing for a week or so after the symptoms are gone so you get rid of all of it. other wise it will/may come back.

Wild Turkey
04-25-2009, 02:32 AM
You are right on mith, you dont separate the fish out to treat them for ich, because the ich is in the water, so treating the tank is actually the way to go.
I use Rid Ich+, works like a charm. The API quick cure seems to work also

Mith
04-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Done deal!

Dixie
04-26-2009, 03:50 AM
Hey Mith, are you positive it's ick? I don't like to use strong meds unless I'm absolutely sure. I think I'd try raising the temp and using salt first but that's your call.

Mith
04-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Yea, its ICK for sure. I've been watching my fish like hawks just dreading getting ICK... Once the tanks treates I should be fine. Oh, I was unable to find quick cure so I got the other one mentioned above.

Dixie
04-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Good luck, Mith.
I've got ick myself now too grrrrr. Not in my cichlid tank though, thank goodness but in my 10 g. bare bottom fry tank that I'm holding fish in for a tropical tank. I guess you could call it a quarentine tank. I'm not using salt and raising the temp because the little heater in that tank doesn't have a thing to adjust the temp.. I had some Jungle brand Parasite Clear on hand and I'm using that and hope it works.
Don't forget to do good gravel vacs when you do water changes. That's very important when dealing with ick.

frizzlefish
04-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Just remember, meds AND heat deoxygenate the water each by themselves. Doing both mean you may definately need an airstone or bubbler going .

Wild Turkey
04-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Just remember, meds AND heat deoxygenate the water each by themselves. Doing both mean you may definately need an airstone or bubbler going .

Good point! I missed the part about 85 in the op, I would not raise the heat when adding medications for this reason, and the fact that temp increases and stressful and so are ich meds. Rid Ich+ worked incredibly fast for me without raising the heat any higher than 80, I would opt to wait to raise the temp, just try the meds first. Frizzle is right always run an airstone when you use these meds and or raise the heat considerably

Dixie
04-27-2009, 07:25 PM
I agree, very good point. Wish I knew how to give Frizzle and Wild turkey some kinda points or something for good advice.

Wild Turkey
04-27-2009, 07:51 PM
I agree, very good point. Wish I knew how to give Frizzle and Wild turkey some kinda points or something for good advice.

The little scale in the upper right hand corner of each post is used for giving users "reputation" thats what the green bars are about

Mith
04-28-2009, 04:49 AM
last night (day 2) I noted that almost all the ICK was gone so I should be in goood shape soon. I am raising the temp to 85, but I also have a 4' air strip full blast AND a good sized powerhead also blowing oxygen into the tank.

Dixie
04-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Thanks Wild Turkey...by george I think I got it!
Good luck Mith but I don't think it's necessary or even really a good thing to raise the temp. with the medication. Like Wild Turkey said, the high temp. along with the medication would be even more stressful for the fish. You might get over ick only to have a case of bloat or something from that much stress.

Wild Turkey
04-28-2009, 03:56 PM
I agree, if the meds seem to be working already, certainly no need to raise the temp now

ko4000
04-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Remember to keep treating for a few days even after the physical signs of Ick are gone.

Mith
05-07-2009, 08:25 AM
It appears to be gone now... WOOT WOOT! :19:

Wild Turkey
05-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Congrats mith! thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
05-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Quik Cure is awesome but do not raise temps with medication. You only raise temps with salt.

OOPS.........sorry.........old post!

Mith
05-10-2009, 01:38 AM
Got it, thanks Miss Hobbs!!

Dixie
05-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Congrats Mith!