PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Barb Color

KatzeSlaugen
04-24-2009, 11:08 PM
My cherry barbs are stating to change color. when i brought them home from the pet store they were a light pale red color (probably from inadequate care seeing as how all my barbs darken significantly and are more active when i get them home and in my tank) and they changed to a slightly darker red color. i was like ok thats normal they're coloring up. over the past few days though all of them have be turning iridescent purple over the lateral line down their side. no problems with them just wondering if anyone else knows anything about this or has had anything odd happen thats similar.
post your stories!

edit: i will try to get a good picture showing their color

OscarFan
04-24-2009, 11:11 PM
The males colors will deepen and become a cool red when they want to breed.

KatzeSlaugen
04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
i know that the thing is the color on the one isnt nearly as deep red (one is about a burgandy color) the light one has iridescent purple above the lateral line. ive tried getting a pic of it but the light from my flash takes the shine away and makes it look like it isnt ever there.

OscarFan
04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
The colors will vary based on dominance and genes. Also if you look their is a thread on how to take good photos that might help you get a good picture.

Jacko
04-30-2009, 12:05 AM
I know what you're talking about, have no idea what it is though, my male normal cherry barb had it for a while but lost it about a year ago (he's 7 years old, nearly 8). My dominant male albino cherry barb also has a slight irridescent barb about where you described it, it was most evident when I had him and a female in a breeding tank being fed on bloodworms.

KatzeSlaugen
04-30-2009, 03:01 PM
The colors will vary based on dominance and genes. Also if you look their is a thread on how to take good photos that might help you get a good picture.

i have no problem taking pictures as ive worked with photography, taught photography classes for a business, and have very extensive knowledge about cameras. the problem lies in that when i take a picture the iridescent color doesn't show up.

to alex thank you! i wasn't sure if ide found something new or if it was just something common i had no idea about