PDA

View Full Version : Will this salt work for brackish water?

matthew.shelly
04-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I want to set up a red claw crab tank. I know they need brackish water. I have "API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) Aquarium Salt" that I've used to treat ich before. Is this a good salt to use to make brackish water? It says it's for freshwater fish, but it is still aquarium salt...
Basically, I'm asking if there is any real difference between this stuff and "reef salt?"
I also attached a picture of what I have so you can double check if you want.

edit: Also, what's a good tool for measuring salinity? Who makes a good one and where can I get it?

OscarFan
04-24-2009, 11:07 PM
That isnt really salt its a slime coat medicine. you should use the same salt that is used for marine aquariums. To measure salininty you can get a hydrometer or a refractometer. Hydrometers are cheaper and can be found at anyplace that sells fish stuff.

matthew.shelly
04-25-2009, 05:23 AM
That isnt really salt its a slime coat medicine.
really? why would they call it aquarium salt then? very strange.
it even says its made from evaporated sea water. ill trust you, but i think its very odd.

cocoa_pleco
04-25-2009, 05:30 AM
nope, cant use that. gotta use something like this. the salt you posted is used in freshwater to get rid of diseases

http://www.ilmiopet.it/images_ebay/Acquariologia/Sale_marino/instant_ocean.jpg

james decruz
09-21-2009, 09:29 PM
aquarium salt is only to be used to treat fish as and when needed .the salt you need is proper marine/ sea salt and defenatly NOT table salt

kaybee
09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
From a salinity standpoint, 'technically' you could create brackish water or even saltwater with "aquarium salt" (meaning you could attain a particular specific gravity with it), but it would be far from ideal and not recommended at all.

"Aquarium Salt" lacks many of the the trace elements that are found in the marine salt mixes that are essential to BW and SW life forms:

Components of API's Aquarium Salt: calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, and sodium chloride.

Components of a typical marine salt mix (containing trace elements found in natural sea water): Chloride, Sodium, Sulfate, Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, Carbonate, Bicarbonate, Strontium, Boron, Bromide, Iodide, Lithium, Silicon, Iron, Copper, Nickel, Zinc, Manganese, Molybdenum, Cobalt, Vanadium, Selenium, Rubidium, Barium, etc. (some salt mixes contain a lot more trace elements than this).

MonkeyPox
09-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Old post...