PDA

View Full Version : Weather Loach

zenryoku
02-27-2007, 11:28 AM
My new weather loach is so darn cute. I can't wait to get another one. I heard they do better in groups. What would work out for a 29 gallon tank. I also plan to have 3-5 petricola as well as some phantom tetras. How long does it take for them to get big. Mine is prolly about 4 inches right now. And with the catfish and loaches will I even need an algae eater?

cocoa_pleco
02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
They do get kinda big. 1 should be good in a 29g if you want a pleco and catfish

*Sarah*
02-27-2007, 04:10 PM
I never see my Weather Loach :( it's always hiding.

Rue
02-27-2007, 10:13 PM
...so far it's been two weeks and mine seems fine...I just bought it some shrimp pellets...I'm sure it'll love 'em and share 'em with the two tankmates (goldfish)...

zenryoku
03-01-2007, 05:03 AM
It snowed today. So I finally gotta see my dude freak out. It was great. He was so active, mostly chasing his reflection on the side of the tank. This behavior became contagious as afew black phantoms joined him in his silly antics. My sepae seem to go crazy over the poor guys sinking wafers. It is funny to see them chase after the big wafer like sharks. Even when it drops to the bottom they hang around the loach stealing it from him when they can and then dropping it.

Anyhow, my serpae are leaving tomorrow due to the nipping they have been doing to my phantoms, as well as the fact that I would like to add a betta to my tank. I know they would just tear him up.

ALso I have a question about snails. I heard weather loaches love them. How would I go about feeding him some without harming my tank? How would I even get some?

Chrona
03-01-2007, 05:27 AM
You can buy snails. Some LFS will even give you them for free, since some varieties have a nasty habit of reproducing like bunnies.

Abbeys_Mom
03-01-2007, 02:05 PM
I have found that loaches don't eat larger snails, they prefer small (pin sized) snails and snail eggs. If you get adult pond snails, they probably won't eat them.

They probably like peas more anyway. Just don't feed them to him too often.

zenryoku
03-01-2007, 09:46 PM
was gonna get a few small snails and breed them in a seperate bottle or what not. Then feed a snail every once in a while. That wasy my tank does not get over run with them. Who else will eat snails?

mac123
10-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I was just wondering can you keep weather loach with malawi cichlids?

cocoa_pleco
10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
nope, only syndontis catfish can go with them

CAF
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
was gonna get a few small snails and breed them in a seperate bottle or what not. Then feed a snail every once in a while. That wasy my tank does not get over run with them. Who else will eat snails?
Most fish will if they can get them in their mouths. However, get a few pond snails, throw them in a bucket, and feed them lettuce and such, soon you will have hoards of them in the bucket you can feed your dojo...