PDA

View Full Version : substrate for stem plants?

Dixie
04-24-2009, 01:02 AM
I have an empty 10g. tank that I want to start up as a planted tank. I've already started collecting the fish for it which I have in another bare bottom 10g. tank. One of the species I chose is the panda cory. From what I've read they prefer sand as the substrate but is sand a good subtrate for low light plants? I only have two 15w. bulbs in the tank cover and won't be using c02 either. Any help will be appreciated.

smaug
04-24-2009, 01:13 AM
With low light the only stem plants that will do ok for you will be anachris.It doesnt need to be in the substrate as it does not have roots.Fine gravel will also work for corys.

richberstler
04-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Never had any luck with anacharis in mine (20g tall and long) with stock lighting unless i left them float. My ludwiga did fairly well until the floating hornwort over ran my canopy blocking the light. but thats just my limited experience.

I have pandas and used flourite as a base with normal stones as the top layer. my other plants and the pandas seem to be ok with it.

i think the biggest thing you should worry about with panda corys is having firendd for them to school with

hope that helps

Dixie
04-24-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the info.. Wasn't sure if I posted my question in the right spot or not lol. I think I will go with the flourite if the pandas won't mind. I have 5 of them. Bought six but one died the next morning. I think the girl netting them for me was to rough. I had read they like to be in groups of at least 6. I'd really like some emerald corys too. Makes me think I need to post in another section now lol.

richberstler
04-24-2009, 01:58 AM
My pandas and julis get along well

DrNic
04-24-2009, 02:09 AM
In a 10G tank with 2 15 watt bulbs you'll be able to grow any species of hygrophilia (and there are a lot), most species of ludwiga, as well as a bunch of other plants.

You're probably better off just trying stuff out and looking to see what grows. From my experience there is more to growing plants than just the lighting, and in my opinion the watts/gallon ratio is almost useless (a good 15 watt bulb could generate better light than a crappy 25W depending on the brand and the K on the bulbs).

As for the substrate, again that's a judgement call really. I've used sand, various volcanic substrates and many types of gravel. Honestly I've found standard gravel the best in that it's fine for plant growth, easy for bacteria to colonize and easy to clean, which can be a pain with some of the more fine grain sand/volcanic substrates.

Dixie
04-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the help y'all.thumbs2:

troy
04-24-2009, 10:31 PM
With low light the only stem plants that will do ok for you will be anachris.It doesnt need to be in the substrate as it does not have roots.Fine gravel will also work for corys.
Anacharis actually does have roots. Hornwort doesn't have roots. Either should do fine in your tank.

smaug
04-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Anacharis actually does have roots. Hornwort doesn't have roots. Either should do fine in your tank.
It does have root like structure but is not a rooted plant in that it does not feed primarily through its "roots".