PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned

tim k
04-24-2009, 12:47 AM
I've been relying on a cheap Hydrometer for testing Salinity over the last couple months.

I thought that it would be fairly accurate and since I had asked my wife to get me a Refractometer for my B-Day I had to wait.

Well man was I ever wrong ,started testing with my Refractometer today and my readings are way off from the Hydrometer.

DT was reading 1.0245 and is actually 1.027
QT read 1.024 actually 1.026
40g Brute for water changes read 1.0245 actually 1.028 :ssuprised:

All readings were consistant with both units , temp in all three is identical and yes the Refractometer is calibrated .

Hydrometer is now in the recycling bin , lesson learned.

Tim K

glarior
04-24-2009, 12:57 AM
YIKES! Did you use distilled water to calibrate it? My refractometer came in the mail this week and I want to test my SW setup but I need to calibrate it. I think you bought the same one as I did from ebay? Yes, no?

tim k
04-24-2009, 01:19 AM
I have a Sybon Refractometer
My wife picked it up at the LFS , it came with a bottle of calibration solution and it was dead on out of the box , its the Hydrometer thats a POS.
Even though I could get consistant readings with it they were way off what they should be.

Tim k

glarior
04-24-2009, 01:33 AM
I just calibrated mine with homemade distilled water and the refractometer was right on. I tested my SW setup with my hydrometer which was at 1.024. Tested the same tank with the refractometer and it read 1.025. Which hydrometer did you have? Mine was the Instant Ocean one and it was actually close.

Now I am thinking to myself why did I not spend an extra 10-15$ and buy a refractometer from ebay instead of the hydrometer... so yeah, I agree, lesson learned. My hydrometer is now history...

oldhead
04-24-2009, 02:53 AM
The right tools make all the difference. Glad you didn't learn the other hard way, like deaths or any other wierd happenings.

coachfraley
04-24-2009, 02:54 PM
I went through the same thing, my hydrometer was .02 off. What I think is really funny, is that taking a reading with the refractometer is actually easier than using a hydrometer. I had kind of assumed that the more accurate test would be harder to administer.

tim k
04-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Yep very easy to use and very consistant.
Definately worth the money.

Tim K