PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Algae Eaters a Few Questions?

copper_eos
04-23-2009, 04:27 AM
Hello, I just picked up a Chinese Algae eater for my tank with Rosy Barbs. I got the fish because I keep having trouble keeping my Plecos alive. I blame this more on bad pet store fish than a bad tank because I have plenty of algae and plenty of other healthy fish.

I must admit I didn't do my research on these guys before hand and was told at the pet store when I was checking out that I had 14 days too return them because they would "probably destroy my tank." This is what they told me. If that's the case I'd rather just not put them in my tank to begin with.

Anyone have these and know what the story is. I'm not reading much of anything good online about them but a lot of people complain about barbs and I haven't had any trouble with mine.

What do you guys think? Any better suggestions? The Pleco I had did a great job but committed suicide in a filter accident. I bought one a few days later who also did a great job but mysteriously died a few days later.

mommy1
04-23-2009, 04:30 AM
after they grow a bit they stop eating algea and go after your fish. my father had one and after about three months it killed one of his corys. and was chasing anything that moved around the tank.

mxgibby911
04-23-2009, 03:46 PM
i have a golden one and love it he eats constently and has kept my tank very clean, he also has an extreme liking to zucinni, i have had issues wtih him chasing a pink tailed chalceus but he leaves everone else alone. There is plenty of room in my tank and no schooling fish and he is the smallest in the tank.

Wild Turkey
04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
after they grow a bit they stop eating algea and go after your fish. my father had one and after about three months it killed one of his corys. and was chasing anything that moved around the tank.

Not always, smaug's CAE is one exception, but yes generally thats the outcome. As they grow they get more aggressive and loose their taste for algae

smaug
04-23-2009, 10:08 PM
My cae is more then the 1 exception.I have family members and friends who keep them with the same results I have.I have had mine for going on 3 years now.He is the 5th or 6th one I have kept with no trouble at all.Mine still eats algae and is only slightly territorial.Keep your fish for a while and don't be swayed by opinion.They are an interesting fish with an quirky way about them and they do have a good appetite for algae.Actual experience trumps here-say every time.

copper_eos
04-24-2009, 01:28 AM
I am worried it will get to large for my tank. I only have a 26 gallon with 4 barbs and an Arulius Barb. I haven't had good luck with my Plecos so far I keep loosing them despite plenty of algae. Perhaps an ottocinculus? Do you know if they will be okay with barbs? I know the CAE is fast enough to outrun them but I'm more worried about my barbs outrunning the CAE that and him getting to large for the tank.

Wild Turkey
04-24-2009, 03:19 AM
For clarification purposes i said "is one" not "is the one" :D

Ottos are generally a little harder keep than plecos

smaug
04-25-2009, 12:18 AM
It will take quite some time before he outgrows your tank.They are not fast growers and seldom reach there max attainable length,5-6" is about normal and is the usual size they reach in my experiance.But honestly,Im not here to talk you into any fish your are not comfortable with keeping.I applaud you for having the care to do some research even if it was after the fact.Many do not even do that.Good luck with whatever fish you decide on.

Wild Turkey
04-25-2009, 01:48 AM
honestly,Im not here to talk you into any fish your are not comfortable with keeping.I applaud you for having the care to do some research even if it was after the fact.Many do not even do that.Good luck with whatever fish you decide on.

Well said brother

Everyone who comes here and posts and does research already deserves a pat on the back for sure.

Anomaly
04-25-2009, 03:45 AM
You might be better off looking into a Siamese Algae Eater if you're afraid of adding the CAE to your tank.

thrakuarium
05-01-2009, 02:29 PM
The chinese algae eater does have the reputation of latching on to the slime coat of another fish and consuming it which in turn usually kills the fish. For that reason I don't recommend them where I work. However, every fish is still an individual and results may vary. If you keep him, I would keep an eye on him and be ready to re-home him if necessary. If you do keep him dont get the otocinclus as that would promote a territory squabble the oto can't win. They are too docile. If you opt to return the cae in favor of the oto's I say go for it. If your water quality is good, and you give them lots of lights out acclamation time they, should do fine. They are excellent algae consumers. Barbs have a slight repute as fin nippers , esp the tiger barb, but as the oto's dont have much in the way of finnage and they don't occupy the same part of the tank as barbs there should be no problem.

copper_eos
05-03-2009, 09:45 PM
So I took the CAE's back and decided on the Otto's instead. I'm very happy with them. They seem to be doing a good job cleaning and can get in between plant leaves where the plecos weren't able to get to. Plus they don't hide as much as the plecos so they add more interest to the tank. They are about the same size and swim just as fast as my barbs so the barbs don't even seem to know they aren't barbs.

thrakuarium
05-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear the otocinclus are working out for you. One thing to keep in mind, if they do too good a job you may have to get some sinking algae wafers to keep em happy and well fed, but that's a decent trade off I would think. thumbs2:

Anomaly
05-04-2009, 02:52 AM
So I took the CAE's back and decided on the Otto's instead. I'm very happy with them. They seem to be doing a good job cleaning and can get in between plant leaves where the plecos weren't able to get to. Plus they don't hide as much as the plecos so they add more interest to the tank. They are about the same size and swim just as fast as my barbs so the barbs don't even seem to know they aren't barbs.

Good choice!thumbs2: