PDA

View Full Version : Be wary of ghost shrimp with bettas!

Shrubs
04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
I've read in several places that ghost shrimp aren't a bad tankmate to attempt with a male betta. The local aquatics store had a 3 for $1 deal, so I went ahead and got 3. Klaus (my betta) immediately destroyed 2 of them by the next day, I only saw floating clear shrimp parts.

However, now over two weeks have passed, and it seemed Klaus and the remaining shrimp were getting along splendidly, the shrimp getting ever bigger since he's been eating well.

This morning I was watching my tank since last night I added 2 peppered cory cats to the mix. Then I noticed something I didn't like, at all. The ghost shrimp hitched a ride on my betta's back fin! As the betta was swimming around to get him off, a tear started to form in the middle of his fin! I got a closer look and noticed the edges of my betta's fins were quite frayed. I don't know if I hadn't been looking at his fins close enough recently because I figured "it's just a ghost shrimp," or if the shrimp finally decided it wanted to try some betta overnight... but sufficed to say, the shrimp has gone bye-bye as a result of this.

Anyone with similar experiences?

ndntakeover
04-22-2009, 09:31 PM
that's interesting

are you sure the clear bits you saw wasnt just the shrimp's moulted exoskeleton? Shrimp usually turn darker when they die so just re check your tank...they might be hiding atm because they do so after moulting

i hope theyre still alive! : )

ndntakeover
04-22-2009, 09:31 PM
what do you mean by bye-bye?

did you eat it?

korith
04-22-2009, 11:40 PM
I have a 20g planted tank with a betta. I put about 15-20 ghost shrimp in there to liven things up a bit. The betta hasn't taken out of any of the shrimp. So far the only interaction between the two I've seen is when one of the ghost shrimp grabbed some food, the betta chased and took it back.

I think a lot of it depends on the temperment of the betta, some get along with other stuff in their tank, some don't.

Shrubs
04-23-2009, 05:04 AM
Well I saw the floating bits the day after I got them, which was probably 2-3 weeks ago at this point. I've only seen the one that was a troublemaker since then. Would they be hiding that long?

korith
04-23-2009, 05:38 AM
Well I saw the floating bits the day after I got them, which was probably 2-3 weeks ago at this point. I've only seen the one that was a troublemaker since then. Would they be hiding that long?

It's possible. I took a 20g tall tank down, I was surprised that there were still some ghost shrimp alive in it, as I hadn't seen any in there for a very long time. Unless it's a bare tank it's really difficult to get a real idea if any shrimp are left in the tank. You could try putting something for them to eat out in the open, mine usually swarm the food rather quickly.

Sarkazmo
04-29-2009, 10:37 PM
I've kept Ghost Shrimp with my Betta (Sancho) and haven't noticed any problems at all. Bettas have their own personality though... maybe yours just doesn't like clear shrimp, who knows, heh. As far as Ghost Shrimp attacking Bettas??? I've never heard of that happening before.

Sark

Sarkazmo
05-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Update: My GS died off so I got three more. One larger and two small ones. So in they go with Sancho and all is well. A little while later I look up and one of the small shrimp is attached to Sancho's tail and is EATING HIM!. So I used a straw to get it away from him and lamented his tail getting farther damaged. So I decided that I'd take the shrimp out when I put in the Eco Complete... well before I could get that done Sancho killed both of the little shrimp!!! The larger one doesn't bother Sancho and Sancho don't bother him.

Sark