PDA

View Full Version : dead mystery snails

jaysee
04-22-2009, 02:48 AM
So this past week I found a couple of dead snails - one in my 45 and one in a 10. The 45 had 5 and is down to 4 and the 10 had 2 now down to 1. The others are all active and growing. I stocked the snails based on 1 per 10g (not sure why so I must have read that). Perhaps they starved since there was more than 1 per 10 in those two tanks?

richberstler
04-22-2009, 02:54 AM
Mine always die too fast. I wish I knew why. I stick with the tiny snails I get with my plants until I get my 'killer' snails.

Wild Turkey
04-22-2009, 03:38 AM
So this past week I found a couple of dead snails - one in my 45 and one in a 10. The 45 had 5 and is down to 4 and the 10 had 2 now down to 1. The others are all active and growing. I stocked the snails based on 1 per 10g (not sure why so I must have read that). Perhaps they starved since there was more than 1 per 10 in those two tanks?

You can stock a lot more than 1 per 10 gallons, it all depends on the tank and what else is in it.

Are you feeding the snails? They really arent good for a bottom feeder to just clean up flake and will not be very healthy unless you feed them, high calcium foods are a good choice for their shells. So if you arent feeding them directly yes its possible they starved, or more likely they were just very unhealthy from getting almost no nutrition which made them succumb to something else.

Its kind of hard to kill these guys IME, if you have more than one die check parameters.

At higher temps they live shorter lives. The ones in the petshops are anywhere from 3months to 1year usually, and at tropical temps they only live about 2 years. So, you cant rule out old age if its just one

jaysee
04-22-2009, 04:32 AM
The one in the 45 was by far the smallest and exibitted the least amount of growth. The one in the 10 was much smaller than the other. How do I feed them without the other fish eating the food?

aquasteph
04-22-2009, 05:18 AM
Sometimes when you have more than one snail, one will do better than the other and cause it to die. I noticed that happened to me a when i had two frogs. One would always do better than the other, became healthier and got all the food causing the other one to be malnourished and eventually die.

You could try feeding them separately and see if anything improves. It's kind of a pain but it's worth it if you really like your snails.

Or perhaps you just got a weak snail in your batch? Study them BEFORE you purchase them and make sure they're active and don't have much shell damage. But if you order your critters online you don't have much of a choice. :/

Wild Turkey
04-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Sometimes when you have more than one snail, one will do better than the other and cause it to die. I noticed that happened to me a when i had two frogs. One would always do better than the other, became healthier and got all the food causing the other one to be malnourished and eventually die.
:/
Ive kept species tanks with hundreds of healthy mystery snails. The snails out eating each other isnt an issue if you feed enough, and honestly if your snails are doing well and one isnt, it certainly not a sign that they healthy snails are the cause of the unhealthiness in the one snail, rather a sign that your conditions may not be to blame. Some aquatic frogs are gluttons and the experiences dont translate, as i said you can keep hundreds together healthily.

If you can find a way to feed the snails they will grow faster, be more active and be able to stand up to changes in conditions and sickness much better. Once they get the idea of being fed they are actually pretty quick at finding it, but of course they are no competition for a fish, you could try feeding with a tube, distractions, get creative, worse comes to worse, setup a species tank

Generally mystery snails dying is due to poor water conditions or old age. They are sensitive to parameters consistent with small mini cycles. In your case, it could be anything but I do think not feeding them probably weakened the snail, and attributes for its slow growth as well.

Shell health is different, and generally isnt related to the health of the snail. That is to say, shell damage wont kill a snail unless its the lack of protection of a shell that kills it. Shell damage is also related to poor diet but also in most cases to water parameters such as KH and PH being too low. So, that is to say a mystery snail with shell damage is not necessarily unhealthy, and a snail with a healthy shell is not necessarily healthy, though it is more likely since its a sign that he is either getting a high calcium diet and or proper water conditions which implies an experienced keeper.

This article may be helpful
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=38661

jaysee
04-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Could the crayfish or larger snail have eaten it? All that was left was an empy shell and the door.

The other snails were consuming the one in the 45 when I found it.

Wild Turkey
04-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Could the crayfish or larger snail have eaten it? All that was left was an empy shell and the door.

The other snails were consuming the one in the 45 when I found it.

Crayfish I cant say, it would be a suspect. Snails will eat other dead snails as soon as they die, but wont kill eachother. (assassins are an exception, but even they dont cannibalize the same species I dont think.)