PDA

View Full Version : ???? about CO2 in planted tank

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2007, 01:35 AM
I have ordered bubble counters and will set up a few of those DIY yeast/sugar/water concoctions for CO2.

My concern is pH dropping during the nightime. I read CO2 should be off when the lights are? I was wondering if I could add an inline shut-off (like on air pumps) and just turn CO2 off this way or do you think with it being under pressure, this would not work? I'd hate for the line to pop apart and this thing bubbling on my floor all night.

What is the normal setting for a planted tank? I think I heard 2-3 bubbles per minute?

Any other idea's as to how to shut this bubbler off at night without unhooking it every day or is none of that really necessary?

Thanks

Chrona
02-27-2007, 01:54 AM
My plan is just to use an airstone and take it out when I shut the lights off. The bubble counters will probably dissolve more CO2 than the airstone but I only have a 10g tank so meh...

As for the bubble rate, what size tank do you have?

jweintraub
02-27-2007, 04:29 AM
Trying to stop the bubbles from comming out during the night will definately create some serious pressure in a DIY setup. I think the only way would be to get the expensive tank setup where you could actually turn off the C02 tank itself. Mine runs 24/7 and I have no PH issues.

Chrona
02-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Trying to stop the bubbles from comming out during the night will definately create some serious pressure in a DIY setup. I think the only way would be to get the expensive tank setup where you could actually turn off the C02 tank itself. Mine runs 24/7 and I have no PH issues.

Well, with an airstone, you could just take the airstone out of the tank :) Otherwise, capping a bottle with an active yeast ingredient is a ticking bomb....literally, hehe.

cocoa_pleco
02-27-2007, 05:23 AM
bombs away! lol

sushant
02-27-2007, 09:56 AM
chrona's idea sounds better

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I will try to just let it run and see what happens and hope no pH drops. These bubble counters are not designed for larger tanks anyway ( 20 gallons is all) and I plan to use two of them in my 55 gallon.

I don't want to use a bubble wand as I bury them in gravel at the back of the tank which would be a hassle messing with twice a day. And, wouldn't the wand continue to use the CO2 even without it being in the tank?

I have the pressurized CO2 system somewhere on my long list of stuff I gotta have but it's somewhere near the bottom of the list with more tanks, substrate, fish, stands, etc, all nearer to the top. LOL Investing in 3 of them is something that will be on the list for some time I'm afraid.

sergo
02-27-2007, 02:23 PM
you could use a gate valve and close the tank side at night and open the other valve to just dump out into the air. it doesn't get any easier than that. you can also use the valve to adjust the bubble rate. that's what i use to control my bubble wand and dual air stones. it's works like a champ!

Chrona
02-27-2007, 02:45 PM
You could just hang two airstones over the side and pull them out at night....Theres really no need to bury them in gravel or anything

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2007, 03:09 PM
I am female. I don't know what a gate valve is!

Chrona, Have you checked your pH leaving it in the tank running from the airstone?
If bubble wands dissipate co2, why couldn't you just leave it go as is?

Chrona
02-27-2007, 03:20 PM
I am female. I don't know what a gate valve is!

Chrona, Have you checked your pH leaving it in the tank running from the airstone?
If bubble wands dissipate co2, why couldn't you just leave it go as is?

Bubble wands dissipate CO2, but only it they are bubbling air bubbles. If they are bubbling CO2, then the amount of CO2 lost as a result of it is much less than the amount of CO2 added

I'll get back to you on the pH story. I'm still waiting on my new light fixture to arrive before I start up my CO2 reactor. However, from my research, a CO2 injections that add 20ppm (ideal) will lower your pH by a little less than 0.8. (this will vary depending on how many plants you have, how fast they take in the CO2, and how fast your particular reactor puts CO2 into the tank)

Heres a good link
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Oh, and leaving the CO2 airstone in the tank will result in a lower pH at night, because plants don't use it at night. You can however, turn on an air pump then, because both fish and plants use oxygen at night.

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Great site. Been there 100 times but never saw that page. Now, a few years in chemistry I will figure it all out. LOL Thanks as this will give me some sort of godliness.

I also understand now about the bubble wands. Makes perfect sense now.

sergo
02-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I am female. I don't know what a gate valve isoops, i would have thought you would have heard of one of those since it seems you have a lot of aquarium experience.:14: but i will say that the "I am a female" line you used is pretty lame though :ezpi_wink1: especially since your trying to fabricate a co2 system.

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2007, 03:51 PM
LOL I know how to do stuff. Just don't know the names of what I'm using.

This planting business is new to me so along with that comes the figuring out of plants, substract, CO2, yadda, yadda. I will get it figured out yet with all the help I've gotten here.

sergo
02-27-2007, 04:32 PM
figuring it out shouldn't be that hard, it's just trying to comprehend all of the physics of how it works may tend to be a littls challenging

Chrona
02-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I did extremely well in all of my chem classes, but there are so many variables when it comes to CO2 injection that I'm still not quite sure I understand it completely.

sergo
02-27-2007, 04:42 PM
ah hell, just pump it in until stuff starts going bad then just back it off a little.

just kidding.

Chrona
02-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I think with an airstone diffuser and DYI (low pressure) reactors, the levels of CO2 won't reach the maximum though, so I'll probably just do what you said lol.

xoolooxunny
02-27-2007, 05:03 PM
remember that more c02 in your tank does not mean less oxygen. for my DIY system this is what I use:
gallon container (ocean spray cranberry juice)
6 cups of sugar
1 tsp yeast (room temp)
air stone, letting into my powerhead.

I change it every two weeks, whether it needs it or not, just to keep the supply steady. there's some calcium in my substrate, so it kind of balances the ph.

The fish are happy, the plants are happy, and i'm happy!

If you're concerned about ph fluctuations at night, you can always add an airstone for regular air at night. This will displace some of the co2 and add the needed oxygen for both the plants and fish, since the plants use oxygen to grow at night.

Chrona
02-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips!