PDA

View Full Version : Imitation crab meat??

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Tossed a piece in my tank tonight and the loaches, silver dollars and catfish all were going nuts at the same time. The catfish grabbed the biggest chunk and went into hiding with it. LOL

jeffs99dime
02-27-2007, 01:56 AM
i'm going to have to try that! lol

Chrona
02-27-2007, 01:58 AM
That stuff is expensive around here! lol. Don't feed the fish, feed me!

Cichlid_Man
02-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I had asked my lfs about that once, Hobbs...
They told me that the imitation crab had food coloring it in that could harm the fish along with a bunch of preservatives and salt?
I guess if it is fit for human consumption, the fish could eat it to?
Dunno!

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2007, 12:11 PM
I actually wondered about the added coloring but thought what the heck. We give color enhanced foods. The fake crabmeat only has color added to a bit on the outside to make it look yummy to us and make us think we are getting the real thing. Ya Right! Salt is 25% but fish live in salt so I hoped the tiny bit they consumed didn't do them harm.

I could toss an old shoe in the tank and my SD and loaches would make a meal of it. But the catfish grabbing that crabmeat and taking off made me chuckle.

In one of the other forums, an old time fish keeper there feeds her fish paprika to enhance their color. I couldn't believe it but she said they love it and it works. Pretty soon mine will be getting watermelon again. :)

Cichlid_Man
02-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Hobbs!
You are too funny! An old shoe??? :-))

The crab probably can't hurt them at all.
I may even try it to see if I can't get my rainbow shark to eat it.
That poor guy hasn't touched flake food. He likes peas, but the Pleco gets to that before he can.
I worry about that poor thing...

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2007, 01:17 PM
I've spent a couple dollars myself on stuff that just bombed on me.
Fish grandules? Forget it. Floating cichlid pellets? Forget it. Shrimp pellets? Forget it. Nori? Forget it. I probably have more success with romaine lettuce than anything. Of course romaine it has to be. For me it's the cheap crap but the fish get the best. LOL

I also tried pea's. Cooked them, smashed them and added to the tank and all I got was a mess with nothing eating it. Even the loaches turned their noses up and went back to the old shoe.

Cichlid_Man
02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Fish are picky!
Mine have never eaten a thing outside of regular fish food until I tried peas.
The cichlids went nuts on them, and the Pleco and shark in my son's tank also went nuts, but the shark didn't get much of it.

I stick to flakes for the tropicals, and spirulina sticks for the cichlids.
Frozen brine once a month and also peas once a month for whatever it is worth.

So, the Nori never worked?

Lady Hobbs
02-27-2007, 03:07 PM
No and I still have yours sitting here atop my refrigerator. I forgot all about it to be honest and will take care of that little thing for sure!

Sasquatch
02-27-2007, 04:10 PM
I totally understand. My girlfriend and I are both students and our fish eat better than we do most of the time.

We've got 3 different kinds of flake (basic, livebearer and spirulina), Hikari micro wafers, sinking wafers, blood worms and shrimp pellets for the platies.

The catfish gets veal, sushi, brine shrimp, shrimp pellets and Hikari carnivore pellets (15$ for 75g!).

We had to rearrange the fridge to get all the fish food in there!

Meanwhile, I'm making chicken broth out of old carcasses so we can eat for dinner!

xoolooxunny
02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
I'll have to try that paprika thing...Watermelon? what's the significance of that, or do you just feed it to them bc they like it?