PDA

View Full Version : decided on fish for new tank

shelby
04-21-2009, 02:23 PM
i have finally decided what fish i am now going to have but need some advice on them first. I am going to have fire mouth cichlids but do i need to have a pair or singly? also will they live happily with corydoras in the tank with them. How big do they grow to as well. At the moment i am enjoying my south american cichlids but as i said i am not sure about these fish.

robflanker
04-21-2009, 02:27 PM
What size tank?

shelby
04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
my tank size is a 3 1/2 ft tank so can i take two or one and what other fish will it tolerate, i know it likes to spar with other males.

chipper
04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
I found out that fire mouths get about 6". I am cycling my 30 gallon tank and getting the same fish. I am going to get only two of them. :hmm3grin2orange: :19:

Oscar_freak12321
04-23-2009, 02:17 AM
Firemouths are great sized fish for that tank. Yes, corys can go with Firemouths, as long as the Firemouth isn't too aggressive(which is pretty rare in the Firemouth's case). Have fun with your tank!

shelby
04-23-2009, 12:23 PM
my tank is now finally ready and i am just waiting now for the tank to mature before adding any fish, have been told by different retailers that i can have them as a group to sort out any pairings and another one told me to have only three fish which is the better advice? a group or just 3.

Oscar_freak12321
04-26-2009, 09:09 PM
my tank is now finally ready and i am just waiting now for the tank to mature before adding any fish, have been told by different retailers that i can have them as a group to sort out any pairings and another one told me to have only three fish which is the better advice? a group or just 3.
by what your asking is should you get three Firemouths? Or corydoras? I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused...:11:

toddnbecka
04-27-2009, 12:36 AM
You probably have enough space to keep 3, but it's best to start with a group to establish a pair. Once that's happened you can return the extras to your lfs.

shelby
04-27-2009, 03:09 PM
going to get my new babies this weekend to put in my tank ,have read up and decided to get 3 fishes .1 male with two females so he can choose which one he wants to get it on with once they are old enough to breed. Getting excited about my fishes.