PDA

View Full Version : Cycle without fish

chipper
04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Just started a fishless cycle yesterday. I put the filter for it in my 55g and ran it for about two weeks that is cycled. I tested the water today and all my readings are Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0. Could it be possible. Or should i add raw ammonia to bring the Nitrate up.:help:

fins_n_fur
04-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I have to be honest--I'm not sure if I understood your post, so I'll re-phrase, if I may:

You have at least two tanks...one newly set-up that you wish to cycle and the other is an existing 55 gallon tank that is cycled. You have been running the filter for the newly set up tank on the established tank. Right?

One way to test is to move the filter back to the newly set-up tank and add some ammonia and then test your parameters to see what bacteria growth has been like on the new tank's filter. Note also that you will need to keep adding ammonia until you are ready to add fish. If there is no fish, there is no ammonia being produced, and the bacteria will die off. You might also want to review the fishless cycle sticky or come back with questions.

Wild Turkey
04-20-2009, 05:25 PM
When you put the seeded filter on the new tank, you have to add fish or ammonia that day or the bacteria will die. If you didnt, no big deal just run it on the established tank some more and try again in a week or two. You can also take some media from the established filter if you dont want to wait before trying again, but again, you must add an ammonia source that day.

chipper
04-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks i will check it out