PDA

View Full Version : Creative backgrounds

SouthernGal0682
02-26-2007, 07:24 PM
I have been trying to decide what kind of background I want for my tank. I've looked at all the scenes in the stores and I don't want to use any of them since I am already doing a planted tank (I think they would clash with my plants). Then I thought I would just use the blue background, but that seems a little dull. I LOVE the DIY backgrounds with the styrofoam and rocks and what not, but my tank is only 12in from front to back so I think if I did a DIY rock background it would take up too much space. Soooo...any thoughts on creative backgrounds that I can use on the outside of the tank?? I am slightly creative so I was thinking about venturing into painting it to look like a stained glass scene of some sort. I dunno...any good ideas?

Lady Hobbs
02-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Perhaps painting on the outside of the tank would show thru nicely without worrying about paint coming off in the water. My next background will be the self-sticking kind. I think the solid black looks nice with a planted tank and makes the plants just pop.

jeffs99dime
02-27-2007, 02:01 AM
i agree with hobbs. solid black will make plants and fish colors "pop" out

Chrona
02-27-2007, 02:11 AM
You could grow a java moss background with a mesh scaffold :D

SouthernGal0682
02-27-2007, 02:20 AM
I like the java moss "wall" idea too. This might sound a little obsessive-compulsive, but I was trying to stick to plants that are from South America. I'll have to look up the mosses and see what comes from there.

I went to the craft store and bought some glass paints and some bits of broken glass that I am playing around with. I really want something uniquethumbs2:

jweintraub
02-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Sounds like this is going to be a very creative "project" I can't wait to see the outcome!

SouthernGal0682
02-27-2007, 04:19 AM
Yeah I hope it is what I have pictured. I am testing it out tonight...have to wait for it all to dry but I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow and post for all to see :thumb: I'm a bit of an over-achiever.

Oh, I was thinking about the moss wall...I think that might make my tank look cramped.

Chrona
02-27-2007, 04:32 AM
Oh yeah, sorry I missed the 12 inch part. Moss backgrounds will get up to like 2-3 inches thick.

SouthernGal0682
02-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Well, I finished my background "experiments". The painting to look like stained glass didn't work out how I had hoped, so I have ruled out that idea. BUT...I kinda like the broken glass mosaic pieces. I could glue them to a piece of plexi glass and just set it in the tank instead of gluing them straight to the tank. Here are some pictures. I don't like the stained glass thing. For the glass pieces, I would use different colors...these were just the cheapest at the store to play with. :)

Rue
02-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I like the stained glass concept...I've done some stained glass myself...

...but I was wondering if you'd do better to stick to something more abstract...like the light dappling through the water, rather than a concrete image...

You could do a light-type effect just by intermixing greens, blues and whites...

SouthernGal0682
02-27-2007, 11:57 PM
...but I was wondering if you'd do better to stick to something more abstract...like the light dappling through the water, rather than a concrete image...

I had thought the same thing. What I painted on that piece of glass is actually a lot smaller than what I had originally designed on paper. My paper version was mostly just "water" and I liked it better. Plus, I bought the wrong paints so I'm sure that made a big difference. The big problem is I can't actually stain the inside of the tank, it would have to be done on the outside, which makes the stuff you use to make the "lead" outlines look funny from inside the tank (if that makes any sense).

Rue
02-28-2007, 12:11 AM
I know what you mean...but I would've thought if you stayed with the shiny 'silver' it would look like part of the water...(in an abstract way)...if you're using foil to do stained glass it's not as thick and/or obvious the way lead would be...