PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater fish in brackish water?

StacieS
04-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi all,

I'm planning to buy my first aquarium (either 5 gal or 10 gal) this week, and I've been doing research on the types of species that I'd like to put in there.

I read that bettas and neon tetras are suitable for beginners, so I'm considering these types of fish (would just get 1 betta). I'm also interested in getting either a fiddler crab or a red clawed crab, and I would purchase a small underwater environment for him at www.crabhomes.com. However, it sounds like the crab needs brackish water to survive. I'm wondering if the betta and/or neon tetras would do ok in brackish water as well. I read on www.crabhomes.com that it's good for all fish to have some salt added to the water:

"To provide an ideal environment for fiddler crabs, you should have some marine or sea salt (never use table salt) to your aquarium. For true brackish water you need to have 2 tablespoons per gallon of water. If you don’t want to worry about having true brackish water, you can add half this amount of salt and the fiddler crab would still be fine. For fresh water aquariums it is good for the fish to have some salt added to the water. It helps the fish to have a protective layer over them, thus preventing diseases."

If I add one tablespoon per gallon of water, would this be fine for the betta and/or neon tetras? Also, if I decided to get a mystery snail or ghost shrimp later on, would they do ok in this type of brackish water?

Your help would be much appreciated, thank you!!

Northernguy
04-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
You do realize that the crab will eat the fish.
Betas and neons do great in freshwater.Salt is good for wounds or ilnesses.Not recommended any other time.

PostalPenguin
04-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Platys can do well in brackish water, so can mollys. Not sure about bettas.

And get the 10 gallon. You can get a school of neons along with the betta. Do a fishless cycle, add the neons, then the betta. If you add the betta first you may have some aggression issues. If you are regular with your water changes and throw some plants in there you could even get some pygmy corys as a bottom feeder.

And you will quickly learn that the bigger is better when it comes to aquarium sizes. I have a 10 gallon and am already planning my 20 gallon. When I get my 20 gallon I will probably start dreaming of a 40 gallon, etc.